Chapter 2: Engaged.... Or Not Exactly...Yet

I woke up the next morning feeling very drained. Last night was so surreal it seemed as though it was a dream. I took a quick shower and got dressed before making my way to the formal dining room. Noah was already there sipping more tea and eating a piece of bacon. I cleared my throat as I took a seat. "Good morning." He looked up from the sports section of the newspaper. "Good morning. Did someone wake up on the right side of the bed this morning?" I glared at him as the butler brought breakfast to me. I gave the butler a warm thank you before he left. 

"My parents heard about last night." "As did mine." "They weren't pleased but are still pushing this relationship." "Same." We both sighed before looking at each other. "I'm supposed to take you on a special date tonight. As a makeup and to, you know, propose." "How soon can I divorce?" I mumbled. He faked a hurt look. "I hadn't gotten that far, sweetheart. But, ouch, does it hurt to think you have already thought about it." I grimaced. "I'm sure it does," I said sarcastically. "Be ready by five. I don't want it to get too dark." I almost asked questions to try to figure out where we were going but stopped myself. "Fine." 

After reading my Vogue magazine and changing a couple hours later, I made my way down the stairs. Of course, I was the first there. He was a minute late, which was impressive. "You look great." "Thanks." "Ready to go?" "Yeah." He grabbed keys out of the bowl.

 He noticed my puzzled expression and smirked. "I do drive you know." He led me out to a Audi R8 which I believed was his. He pulled up to a small deli awhile later in town and came back with a brown paper bag. Once the food was off the checklist, he drove me to a little cabin on the ocean. 

 "James, its barely March." "So? Its not too bad for a boat ride. Besides I have blankets in the back so we can cuddle." I shoved him even though he was driving. "Hey!" "I'd rather cuddle with a cactus than with you." "Suit yourself. It'll be cold." "What happened to ladies first?" "I offered, you wouldn't share." "So naturally you get the blanket since I won't share?" "Yep." If I catch a cold, it's your fault. 

 As we rowed, the sky became overcast. He cursed before looking over at me. "Okay I'm going to make this quick so we don't die out here." "Okay." "Nicola Vera Romanova, will you marry me?" I gulped. "Yes. Now let's get the heck out of here." He pulled out a box from his jacket pocket and slipped the ring that was in it on my finger. The thunder boomed and we hurriedly rowed to the dock. Sheets of rain began to pour down causing me to scream. He put a hand on my back and began shoving me inside the tiny cabin. 

 I twisted my hair over the sink to get it as dry as possible as James paced the room. "I told ya so." He glared at me so I shook my head. "Don't glare at me. It wasn't my brilliant idea." He grinned causing my stomach to drop. "So you did think it was brilliant?" I shrugged. "It was fine." He eyed me for a second. "I'm going to go see if I can find you some different clothes to wear.You are soaked through." "Yeah, so I would appreciate if you would stop staring." He smirked as he left the room. 

 He came back down with a pair of thermal underwear and a mens big green T-shirt. "This was all I could come up with. "This will do, thanks." I looked around for a place to change. "The bathroom is down the hall." I jumped. I had no idea James was still here. I gave him the first polite smile from me he ever got. "Thanks."