Chapter 13: Who Are You Calling Babe?

I skipped into his office after having breakfast the next morning. He looked up and raised an eyebrow. "Good morning." 

"Good morning," I chirped as I kissed his cheek.

 "Is there something I don't know about?" 

"Nope." I rocked back and forth on my heels impatiently. "When are we going to Ireland?" 

He sighed. "Soon love, I'm just super busy right now."

I frowned. "But you said once you were Duke, we could go."

He nodded. "I'm sorry but things have changed. I'm booked until February." 

My mouth dropped open. "But it's only almost Thanksgiving." 

He looked at me softly. "Look, there's nothing I can do. I will let the court know that I am taking off the second week of February, okay?" 

I raised an eyebrow. "That's Valentine's Day week." 

He smiled. "I know." 

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair, frustrated. I nodded as I closed the door behind me. 

----------------------------------

He put down his fork at lunch as he stared at me. "Are you still mad about the honeymoon issue?" 

I shrugged. "Yeah, a little." 

He sighed in a defeated tone as he took another bite of his sandwich. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed in the following week that every royal in the entire country had arrived at our house. "Who's that?" I'd ask as I watched another car pull up to his parents' door from our bedroom. 

"My mom's step-sister and her husband, along with their four children and their spouses and children." 

"Honey." 

"Look, at least they don't have to stay with us, alright?" 

"That's only because we don't have the room. What will happen when we do?"

He looked at me tiredly. "I'm the only child, Nicole, so I do not think this will be as big as a problem." 

I bit my lip. "Okay." 

------

As I entered the ballroom for our Thanksgiving meal, I was surprised at how large the table needed to be to fit everyone. There was, supposedly, going to be a turkey for each ends of the table, one for the left end, one for the middle, and one for the right end. 

This is ridiculous. I mouthed to James. He shrugged as he put a hand on my back to lead me to our spots. He pulled out my chair for me before taking his own seat. 

Once everyone had taken their seats, his grandparents, who were at the heads of the table, reached out their hands to the people next to them. It soon became a chain reaction as everyone grabbed each other's hands.

Once the Lord's Prayer was said, everyone dug in. There was awkward small talk about jobs, vacations, children, and the economy. Amidst it all, I noticed not one word was about what they were thankful for. 

"I was wondering," I cut in making everyone look at me, "what are you all thankful for?" 

They laughed nonchalantly and looked around. "Well I'm thankful for my wealth." They all nodded in unison and I said nothing. 

James bit his lip as he cut himself another piece of turkey. I looked at him for help and he quickly swallowed his bite. "I'm thankful for my wife." 

They all looked at him, surprised by his cut in like they were mine. "That's nice, dear," Mrs. Wright said in attempts to end the discussion. 

As we got ready for bed that night, I turned to James accusingly. "Is that how every family event is going to be? He grimaced. "Yes." 

I gave him a boo-boo lip and he laughed. "Are you serious?" 

He gave me a peck on the lips. "I'm afraid so, babe." 

"Babe?" Who are you calling a babe?"

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "You." 

I shook my head. "I don't like that nickname." 

"Alright, then it is now your official nickname." 

"That's not fair." 

He shrugged. "I like it." 

"Here comes the selfish brat side of you again."