Chapter 3: We Actually Had A Nice Conversation

I came out from the bathroom, tugging at the shirt. Not sure where James would be, I decided to work my way around the tiny cabin clockwise. I found him, eventually, sitting on a torn chair. He looked up and nodded. "That should do until we get back to my place. Although, it's sad to think that me pushing you into the lake would be more believable to everyone than us getting caught in the rain during my proposal." "You look heart broken." 

 "I managed to save dinner at least." I saw the slightly wet paper bag in his hand and my mouth watered. "Good because I'm hungry." His eyes sparkled as he headed to the door. "We can eat it in the car." He opened the door and stepped aside. "Come on," he gestured with his arm. 

We began to drive down the road but stopped when it became flooded. James groaned and turned the car around, heading back to the cabin. "Well I guess this is turning into a romantic cabin weekend proposal" I shuttered. "Don't even." He tried calling on his phone and frowned. "Of course, no service." I grabbed the brown paper bag off the table. "At least we have food." "Yeah, I can only imagine how mean you are when you are hungry." 

I licked my finger before swallowing another bite of the ham sandwich. James poked at the fire again before joining me on the tattered sofa. "Blanket?" He nodded and took the half of it that I graciously offered. "You are letting me share the blanket? How sweet." "Bring it up again and I'll change my mind." He took a bite of his sandwich and rose his hands in surrender.

I stared at the fire before turning to him again. "So, since I'm stuck with you for awhile, tell me about yourself." He chuckled. "Its called marriage and you figured me out pretty well the first time we met so I don't know what to tell you." "Okay. What's your favorite-" "Nah, actually, I want you to guess." I raised an eyebrow at him. He was pushing it. "Okay. You have to be an only child. Your favorite color is blue. You have not had a relationship longer than a week. You've slept around. You like beer. You barely passed high school. You hate rules because of your parents. You are a self centered jerk." 

He nodded slowly. I thought over what I said and felt a pang of guilt. "I'm sorry. That was really rude." "No, you're right." "I am?" He gave a look that said don't push it so I stopped. He shrugged. "Yes. Except my longest relationship was two weeks." I laughed. "Oh, excuse me." 

He rubbed his hands together. "Now I get to guess about you." I rolled my eyes. This should be good. "You also have to be an only child based on your temperamental issues." "Hey-" "Don't interrupt, although that is something you're rather good at. Your favorite color is purple. You've had two or three boyfriends. I'm not sure where you stand when it comes to 'sleeping around.' You like wine. You were a straight A student. You detest me because I point out your flaws, something your parents do all the time. Am I right?" 

"Sorta." "Enlighten me on my slip ups." "Well, to start, you first went wrong when it came to boyfriends." "Really?" "I've never had one." He stared at me. "You're kidding." I gave a small smile. "Wish I was." "So you've never kissed anyone or slept-" "Nada." He chuckled before putting a handful of chips in his mouth. "I also hate alcohol. I like shirley temples." "Were you a straight A student?" "No way." "Lowest grade?" "C." "Better than me." "That surprises you?" We both raised our eyebrows at each other. 

"You know, this might not be so bad." I froze. "What do you mean?" "We just held an almost nice conversation." I bit my lip. "Yeah."