Chapter 5: When His Mother Tries To Plan The Wedding For You

Monday

I knocked on James's door before entering. I saw him dressed in a casual suit and frowned. He frowned too as he looked at my outfit of jeans and a blouse. "You are going to have to dress up way more." "For your mother?" "No, the wedding planner." I narrowed my eyes as I left. 

Once I was changed into a form fitting black dress and black pumps, we drove over to his mother's house. "Hello dears." We smiled as we each gave her a hug and kissed both of her cheeks. We then turned to see a young woman waiting there patiently. "You must be the wedding planner." I looked at James as he smiled warmly at the very pretty lady. 

"Yes, I am. My name is Anna. It is nice to meet both of you." I shook her hand before giving James a warning look. We sat down in the sitting room and immediately ideas were thrown left and right. 

"We want a church and ballroom wedding. There will be a lot of guests so both have to be big." Anna nodded as she jotted notes down. "Well, I actually pictured a garden wedding." All of them looked at me depicting different moods. James looked impressed that I spoke my mind, Anna looked nervous, and Mrs. Wright looked displeased. 

"Dear, don't you think that a wedding of five hundred needs a ballroom?" "Not necessarily. We could rent a big field and bring everything in." "That would be quite beautiful, your ladyship." Mrs. Wright looked at Anna and mumbled, "Alright." Anna jotted that down before looking up at us again. 

"How about the dress?" "We will go later today and buy one if that's alright with you, Nicole." "That's fine." "Oh, James, what will you wear?" "I'll wear my black suit mother, no worries." She nodded. That obviously for some reason had frazzled her. "Oh, I'm flying in your best friends for the event so they should arrive tomorrow." 

My eyes lit up. "Isabel?" She nodded and cleared her throat. "Tomorrow I expect you, James, to get Rollin fitted for his suit or whatever he plans on wearing. Nicole, you need to go out with Isabel and get her a bridesmaid's dress. It will be the smallest bridal party any royal has ever had but that is alright." 

"How about the food?" My eyes laughed as I looked over at James. Of course he asked that question. "What is modern for a wedding today, Anna?" "Well, typically comfort food is a very popular option. Things such as mini burgers, french fries, soup, fried chicken, and macaroni and cheese usually pop up with that label. Dessert bars with mini desserts are very popular also. If you aren't interested in the comfort food option, you could have breakfast for dinner." 

"I love breakfast," James and I both said at the same time. Anna chuckled and nodded. "I think breakfast has won, how about you?" Mrs. Wright nodded with a small smile. "I think so." "Now, what are your favorite breakfasts?" "Pancakes." "Omelets." We frowned when we realized they weren't the same. "You could have a pancake and omelet bar for the guests." "That would be cool!" 

"Tea is a major breakfast drink for both of our countries. Can we do something with that?" "A gourmet tea station can be an option." "Add that, Anna." She nodded and jotted some more notes. "Is there a color scheme for this wedding?" "Yes." "No." 

The duchess frowned at me. "I was thinking of a pastel color palette." I bit back a gag reflex. "With all due respect, Mrs. Wright, this is my wedding and I say we have no color scheme. White flowers with neutrals such as beige and brown suit me just fine." Anna exchanged a worried glance between us before asking, "What should I write down?" "Put neutrals, Anna." I looked over at James and was surprised that he was on my side for this one. 

Later that day:

"Oh, you look lovely." I frowned as I stared at myself in a puffy ball gown. I turned to Mrs. Wright and my mother. "This is not me." My mother bit her lip and gave me a warning look. I put both hands on my hips as I stood on the podium. 

"But you look so beautiful," Mrs. Wright whined. "Thank you, but I'd rather have a sheath dress. Something simple. For crying out loud, I feel like an oompa loopa." The sales associate turned to me with a small smile. "I think I have just the thing. Why don't you meet me in the dressing room?" I nodded and followed her back. 

I gasped as I turned around on the podium. "You look absolutely stunning," the sales associate said as I spun around. I grinned. "I love it. What is this dress called?" "Lina, by Monique Lhuillier." "I love the lace. Oh, and the one shoulder. That means it follows the rules." I turned to Mrs. Wright with a grin as she nodded. 

"What were you thinking of doing with your hair for the big day?" "A modern bun." This pleased both mothers. "That will look stunning with the mid-length veil." We all nodded before I went back to the dressing room to change.