Chapter 12: I Think My Feet Are Going To Fall Off

I woke up early the next morning to the sound of my bath running. Kelly turned to me as she grabbed my clothes.

"You better get going, Madame, if you want to make the coronation." I turned suddenly and was shocked to not see James sleeping next to me. Kelly gave a knowing smile. "James is eating his breakfast. He told me to let you sleep in longer than him."

I nodded. "Thank you, Kelly. I shall take my bath now." 

I made it down to the dining room as James was getting up from his seat. "I know you already ate but would you at least sit with me?"

He gave me a smile and nodded as he sat back down. The butlers brought in an omelet for me with a cup of tea soon after.

Once they left, I turned to James. "I was worried when you weren't by my side this morning.

He grinned. "Kelly told you my whereabouts I presume?"

"She did."

"Good, she was supposed to." 

"Are you ready to become Duke?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I could sense his nervousness so I grabbed his hand.

"I know you'll be great."

He gave a small smile. "Thanks." 

--------------------

I watched in the right corner as James signed off his royal contract. I heard the butler clear his throat and turned to him. He shook his head at me and I blushed as I retreated my gaze to the floor. 

"I know crown you James, Duke of Kent. You may leave the office now." We all left in a single file line. Once we made it out to the staircase, James swept me up into his arms. 

I giggled as he spun me around. He kissed me once before putting me back down. "I'm so proud of you!" 

I kissed him again much to his approval. "Thanks." 

"Well, what do you want to do?" 

"Do?"

"To celebrate?" 

He grabbed my hands and pulled me close. "As long as I'm with you, I don't care." 

I pulled away from his embrace. "Can we take a nap?" 

He sighed happily. "Yes, please." 

--------------

As my servants slipped on my gown for the ball (Lily Collins wore it to a premiere, its long and cream and blue by Monique Lhuillier), I could hear the orchestra begin to play for the incoming guests.