Chapter 2: The Waitress

DEBBY'S POV

I wishfully looked out into the setting sun, wanting to escape this horrid place. I was here, in Russia, as an exchange student all the way from England. My thoughts wandered as I thought back to my home and how I wished to be back in my bed, tucked safely away from the gazing eyes of the world. Here, I have always felt as if someone is staring at me. Judging me, watching me, smelling my crippling fear.

My thoughts were cut off as the doorbell rang. I looked up and saw a man standing on the doorway of the little cafe I worked in. His eyes surveyed over the overflowing tables, until his gaze met mine. His stare warmed up, lightly smiling in my direction. I couldn't help but blush, he was a vision after all.

He walked over to the only empty table by the window. I waited a couple of minutes, pretending to be busy with dusting off the counter. Then my boss gave me the stink eye and I proceeded towards his chair. »Hi, how can I help you?« I asked the stranger. His smile grew wider. »I'll just have some tea, thanks,« He replied, making my eyes widen in astonishment. It's been so long since I last heard English!

I happily walked back to the kitchenette, boiling some hot water for his tea. As the water was warming up, I wondered of his business in Russia. Maybe he was just a tourist, taking in the sights or maybe, he was a spy for the goverment! I giggled at my own thoughts, sometimes my imagination was really over the top.

When the kettle started whistling, I took it off the counter and gently poured the hot liquid into a nice, flowered ceramic pot. I don't know why I wanted to impress him. Perhaps I just longed for the simple pleasure of hearing my native tongue roll from his luscious lips. Carefully, I placed the pot on a tray and slowly took it over to where he was seated. When he saw me approaching him, he hid something in his pocket, not wanting me to see it. I smiled sadly, he probably has a family back at home and that was their picture. He must miss them a lot. I put the pot on the table, not really wanting to leave him just yet.

He must have sensed my dismay of leaving him and so he pulled out a chair, motioning for me to sit. »You know, I would be delighted if you'd talk with me for a while,« He pointed out. I blushed slightly, as I sat down next to him, brushing a lock of my short hair away from my face. »It's really nice to converse normally after such a long time, you know?« He continued talking. I nodded, swiflty looking at my boss. Fortunately, he hadn't seen my lack of working. I turned at the stranger again, who was giving me a once-over as if trying to figure me out. »You know, you're hard to figure out, mostly I can solve people in a matter of seconds. You're different, I like that.« I blush yet again, this time, trying to hide it. »Don't do that,« He says, while leaning forward, taking my chin between his index finger and a thumb. »You're far too beautiful to hide underneath your hair,« He smiles and gazes into my eyes. »I love how your hair seems to contrast the grayness of your eyes.« I frown my eyebrows just then. »But my hair is the same colour as my eyes, sir,« I whisper just loud enough for him to hear it. He laughs and shakes his head. »No, you see, that's where you're wrong. It is true, that they're both gray. But where your eyes are wise and thoughtful, your hair appears youthful and jesting. It's as if it is teasing me,« He explains his thoughs. His answer shocks me and leaves my mouth dangling wide open. He snickers and props his head with his palm, gazing at the setting sun.

»It seems so peaceful here,« He whispers, probably to himself. I am about to stand up and leave him to his thoughts, when a hand catches the hem of my shirt. »Don't leave,« He says, his eyes searching for my reaction. I nod whistfully, hoping it did not come over as too blatant.

He reaches over to take my hand in his, shaking it in the process. »Well, stranger, it's nice to meet you.« I smile, shaking his hand as well. »I'm Debby. But you can call me Dante.« He seems amused by something. »Might I ask, why Dante?« He says. Oh, that's why the amused expression on his face. »It's just that I don't like my name. It's so common, you know?« I say, hoping for him to understand that I don't want to go unnoticed through the rest of my life. He seems to think about my statement for a while. »I think I understand how you feel but might I say, I like your name and if it's okay with you, I will continue calling you by it because no matter what you do, you have made an impression on me and therefore your name expresses your extraordinarity, Debby.«