2.

"On account of weapon handling and possession of a minor without a permit," the judge boomed, "I prove the minor not guilty."

All breathing got heavy and the air was intense. I could feel the sweat drip from my forehead as the tension tightened.

Someone had reported me for weapon possession, supposedly a gun. I hadn't had one though of course.

"On account of attempted murder and keeping of hostages, Mr. Moore is found not guilty."

Guess I was reported for that too.

My last count was next. If I were innocent for this one too, Id be home free.

"On account of breaking and entering, attempted robbery, and risk over civilian well-being, the defendant is found guilty."

My heart sank. I couldn't have possibly been caught. There was just no way, I covered everything up. I thought I had anyway and I didn't even do it, only tried.

"Defendant is being charged with a punishment of restitution and probation of 7 months due to the minor juvenile rules. Case dismissed." The gavel was pounded and the court was adjourned.

"I'm so sorry." Sarah apologized as we left.

"Not your fault. I'm just an idiot."

"I still feel bad. Can you hang out today? Maybe we can talk."

"No." I declined.

She didn't disagree or object. "'Kay."

She broke off from me and began walking to her house in the opposite direction as I walked to my car.

I sighed as I got into the passengers side. I leaned my head up on the window. I was so bummed.

My mother stepped on the gas and pulled out of our parking space. She didn't want anything to do with me at the moment.

I don't blame her.

I hate to disappoint her but I had to do it. I had to.

My eyes filled with tears to their fullest extend before they fell. "I'm sorry, Mom." I sobbed.

She had already been silently crying.

"Why would you do this? Think of your girlfriend, where would she be if you were locked up?"

The tears spilled at a rate so fast that I thought I might drown.

"I'm sorry." I said through tears. "I am."

She began crying just as much as I was. I hadn't seen her cry so hard before.

"Mom, I just..." Crash!

We should've seen it coming.