10.

The next day, I got a phone call on my cell from Sarah's mother.

I answered without thinking and she instantly began speaking on the other end. I didn't even have time to say hello.

"I can't find Sarah, I've been looking all morning. Please just keep an eye out." She sounded distressed.

I felt so bad for her. First her son now this. Sarah was probably sulking somewhere in town.

"No problem. I'll head out now." I answered.

She thanked me and once our call had ended, I laced up some old Nike's and headed out.

I knew exactly where she was.

***
Once I reached the house, I noticed no car in the driveway. She was definitely here.

I went around back, crossed the porch, and climbed the ladder up to the roof.

This had been the same house Sarah and I had watched the movie from. I came up here a lot after that, by myself though.

To no surprise, there she was, sitting there in the morning sun.

She knew I was there but didn't bother to take not one glance.

I sat down next to her.

"Hey, champ." I greeted. "Watcha doin' up here? Your moms pretty worried."

"Let her worry, I don't care." She said back. She really did sound as if she had no care about anything.

"Baby, talk to me. That's what I'm here for. I don't care what you need to say, just say it. I won't judge." I wanted her to just get it off of her chest.

She hesitated for a long while but I didn't rush her.

Finally she whispered, "I don't have hope."

I paused.

"Hope? That's alright, I mean sometimes we have off days where-"

"No!" She cut me off. "You're not understanding. I don't have any more hope for anything or for anyone. It's like I'm caught in this time warp where time stands still and I'm just sitting here on Earth doing nothing with myself."

"Babe, no matter how hard I try, I'm never gonna fully understand what you just said. I understand what you're getting at though. You feel like you have no purpose." I clarified.

She nodded as she stared out into the highway.

"Don't worry." I assured as I put my hand on her thigh. "If you're caught in a time warp, I'd gladly be stuck in it with you."

She smiled slightly but didn't look at me.

"Can we go get food. I haven't eaten breakfast yet and I have a hunch you haven't either." I said.

"Nope, I didn't."

I took that as a yes and stood but she didn't follow.

"C'mon." I ushered.

"Nah I'll catch up. I'm gonna stay here and think for a while. I'll meet you at your house around 2:00?" She questioned.

I sighed. "I guess. See ya later."

I began climbing down the ladder again. I was looking forward to spending time with her before the funeral brought up more painful thoughts but alone time is probably best for now.

I walked the rest of the way home in silence, the pattern of my footsteps on the pavement mocking me as I thought.

My stomach started to take advantage of me and I grew desperately hungry. I could see my house up ahead.

Relief overflowed my brain until I was interrupted by loud sirens coming from behind me.

I thought cops were trying to mess with me just because I'm a teen walking around alone in the morning. Bored cops bust people for stupid reasons.

I turned to look but they weren't coming my way. They had just went into the block I had just came from.

I shrugged it off and began thinking of what I'd eat.

Eggs? Bacon?

No matter what, it didn't matter-my mom would disagree anyways.