9: Someone Else to Live For

"Strife I'm sorry but we're desperate, if we don't get some extra pay soon we'll have to live in our truck." Ross nodded in agreement to Smith's argument.

The business-man sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Man, I'm sorry but there really is nothing else I can do for you. You've taken all the job openings I've had to offer, we simply don't need any more workers. All I can do is notify you when we do have any need for physical labour, other than that there's really nothing I can do." He looked at them apologetically.

Ross' shoulders sagged in defeat. That's it, they were screwed. Better start packing now..

"Sir! Mr. Strife I'm sorry to interrupt but the two workers in Section 14 have just quit and we need replacements immediately, Mr. Trott simply can't handle it all by himself." A tall woman in a suit stepped in, eyes glancing over the two men sat in front of the mahogany desk before returning to Strife.

Smith immediately shot up. "We'll do it! Whatever it is we'll do it! Please Strife?" He stared pleadingly at the blonde who turned to the woman.

"Well I believe you have your replacements, there you are." He gestured towards the two. "I'm sure they are more than capable." He smiled at the pair as the men shot out of their seats. 

"Oh, thank you Strife, thank you, thank you, thank you!" Ross exclaimed. He waved them off.

"No problem, now get to work." He smirked. "You'll get your first paycheck tomorrow morning." The two followed the woman but turned back when they heard Strife call them from his desk, "And boys? That's Mr. Strife to you."

"Yes Mr. Strife!" Both men said simultaneously, saluting and sharing a smile before following the woman.

"This is Section 14, where we ship off, well everything really. TROTT! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE, I GOT YOUR REPLACEMENTS!" The woman yelled surprisingly loudly, cupping her hands to form an impromptu megaphone.

"Already?" Someone calls back, "Strife's really on the ball today. But I swear to god if he sent down some of those puny fuckers from management I'm gunna-" The man walks out from around the corner, eyeing the two men. "Hmm... Where are these two from?"

"Dunno, why don't you ask them? She rolled her eyes, "Anyway, I gotta head back up, see if anyone else needs someone to pass their memos. Later." She said before departing, leaving the three men alone in the room.

"So, where are you two from?" Trott asked, looking at them quizzically.

"Um, we did computing and shi- stuff." Smith quickly remedied. This 'Trott' seemed all right but he didn't want to be too careful.

"Bit of a change then. Anyway, you're here now. What you need to do is sort through those boxes-" He pointed to a large pile of boxes in the corner, "-Read the labels. If it says Sips Co, put it on the left, Honeydew Inc in the middle and foreign corporations on the right. Once you're done with that come to me for instructions, I'm working on the machinery over there." He gestured lazily to an open circuit board box on a wall next to the crates with a couple tools laying haphazardly around it.

"Alright then, c'mon mate lets get cracking." Smith thumped his companion on the back with a grin, eyes glinting mischievously. Ross rolled his eyes and began sorting the boxes. 

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you do here exactly?" Ross asked curiously as he and Smith heaved the neatly stamped packages around the room. Trott shrugged as he began to twist wires around in the circuit board.

"Eh, nothing huge. Mostly wires and shit along the lines, I want to start my own company at some point though but that isn't happening for awhile." Trott answered, bringing up a minuscule screwdriver to tinker a bit with one of the panels. "Why are you two stuck in physical labour?"

Ross glanced at his ginger partner before answering. "Just needed the money I guess, didn't have much choice."

Trott nodded understandingly, brows furrowing as he fiddled with the electrics. "Mmm I've been there mate, I get ya. Least you got someone else to live for, that helps." He said the last bit with a twinge of sadness aching his voice. 

There was an awkward silence as the mechanic continued to twiddle with the multicoloured wires of the machine as the other two carried around boxes.

After an hour and a half of simply heaving boxes around, Trott called out to the two men, "You guys can go on lunch break. You have half an hour."

"That's the best thing that's come out of your mouth all day." Smith called, putting the down the box that was currently in his arms.

"Yeah, except for your dick." Trott said without thinking. Smith and Ross gave each other a surprised a look before both laughing. After a moment, Trott joined in too, his face suddenly looking lot lighter with the laughter.

And like that, the tension was lifted.

Author's Note:

Ava- Jeez that took awhile, was worth it though! This is probably one of my favourite chapters so far, though that will probably change once Strife shows up. No spoilers! (Try and guess the ships hehehe)

Kalina- Hehehe... I changed Ava's spelling's to the English version... Hehehe x3 Baii!