10: We're Not Soulmates

Laughter rang from the Strife Solutions doorway as the three men exited the building after their fifth day of working together. "Hey," The smaller of them said once he had regained his breath, "Wanna grab something to eat? I know this cafe nearby and it's really good!"

The other two agreed and it wasn't long before they were sat in a booth, Smith and Ross opposite Trott. "Hey Trott." The worker said, inclining his head to the other two when he came to take their orders, "What'll it be today?"

"Hey Toby. Same as usual for me." Trott smiled. Toby took the other two orders before walking away to get someone to prepare them.

"Oooo, Trotty knows the waiter, I see." Smith grinned, leaning forwards and putting his elbows on the table.

"Piss off Smith, just because I'm a regular." he said lightly.

"Regular for a back alley blowy!" Smith shot back with gritted teeth.

"Well, you know me. Always good for back alley blowies."

"Filthy!" Ross chimed in and they all started laughing again, just as Toby returned.

"What the hell are you guys laughing about?" He asked, putting down the plates off food.

"We were just talking about Trott's-" Ross started but was cut off by Trott lurching across the table and clamping a hand over his mouth.

"Nothing! We weren't laughing at anything! Thanks Toby!" He said quickly and the boy shook his head with an amused look before leaving them to it.

As soon as he left, Ross licked Trott's hand, causing the man to recoil it in horror. "Ew! Gross!" Smith sniggered, picking up his cutlery to start eating. The other's followed suit.

"It's kind of funny, isn't it?" Trott said as they finished off the last bits of their meal. Smith looked up, mouth full of his last few bites of pastry and gave Trott a curious look.

"What?" Ross asked, setting down his fork. Trott rolled his eyes.

"I'm supposed to be your boss, you idiots." Smith choked slightly as his eyes crinkled in laughter.

"Hey, the only boss for me is Smiffy here." Ross flirted jokingly as Smith managed to get down his food.

Trott sighed slightly, "Must be nice to have your soulmate." 

There was a silence as the couple's faces fell. Ross chewed his lip and stared at the table, not meeting Trott's gaze. Smith fidgeted and glanced at Ross concernedly. The shorter man stared at them in confusion.

"Did I say someth-" 

"We're not soulmates." Ross interrupted bluntly. 

"Oh..." 

Under the table, Ross' hand reached for Smith's, squeezing tightly when their hands joined. 

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't." Smith said curtly, looking away but gripping Ross' hand as though his life depended on it, "Let's just... Talk about something else."

Trott nodded and pretended not to notice the way they shuffled closer as he searched his mind for a new topic. After a few minutes of unbreakable awkwardness, Trott gave up. "I should, um... Get going..."

The three of them stood, leaving the money for the food on the table before leaving, pausing outside the cafe. Ross and Smith were still holding hands.

"See you guys tomorrow?" Trott questioned, gazing sadly at the two.

"Yeah. See ya." Smith muttered.

"Bye, mate." Ross added before they walked off down the street, leaving Trott to head home in the other direction alone.

The ginger kissed his boyfriend's cheek as he grumbled over his coffee. Ross never had been good in the mornings. He got a grunt as an answer as he headed into the bathroom chuckling slightly.

Smith sighed, brushing his teeth quickly before grabbing his brush to try to wrestle with the bird's nest that was his hair. Combing it out he noticed another color hidden in the locks. He leaned closer to the mirror. What was-

"Fuck..." Smith's eyes widened in realization. "Fuck, fuck, fuck! Oh shit, no, not now, oh god, fuck-"

In between the ginger, nestled deep in a curl, was a grey hair.

Panic settled into his chest. What was he gunna do?! Should he tell Ross? Who even was his soulmate, he hadn't met anyone recently, was it someone at work? 

"Oh god, oh god, oh god..." Smith muttered, plucking out the hair and examining it closely. Yes it was definitely grey.

"Hey ,Smith babe, we gotta go to work soon so could you hurry up?" Ross' voice rang through the door.

"U-Uh y-ya, I'm good sorry." He opened the door and tried to calm himself internally.

Ross didn't seem to notice, quickly heading into the bathroom and shutting the door.

He went through his normal routine, floss, brush teeth. Grabbing the comb Smith had left on the counter he began to brush at his hair and-

"No..." It was a grey hair. An actual grey hair.

"Ohhh, fuck me...." Ross muttered, staring at the comb. This could not be happening. Oh god it was gunna break Smith's heart! Why couldn't they just live in China or something, like come on, this wasn't fair! Oh god...

He set down the comb and splashed some water in his face. It would be fine, they'd understand. He could do this. He took a deep breath and exited the bathroom, grabbing his keys. He would tell him later.

Neither of the men noticed the other's fidgeting, too caught up in their own heads as they drove to work. Unknowing that their world was about to add another complication to the mix.

Author's Note:

Ava- Ahahaha! Evil cliffhangers! This actually didn't take that long, probably just cause we want to get to the part after. No spoilers!

Kalina- Yeah, we're barely procrastinating this part! Like, us. Doing productive. Us. Anyway, thanks for reading, baii!