11: Three's a Crowd (And I Like a Crowd)

Fingers drummed against the steering wheel of the van as Smith and Ross waited in the heavy traffic, both shooting the other glances but never catching their eye. An apprehensive silence lay on the pair but both were scared to break it.

After maybe five more minutes of this painful silence, Smith finally spoke up. "Ross. I have something I need to tell you."

"Me too." Ross replied, his hands clenched in his lap. "You... You first..." He added.

"I-" Smith hesitated, glancing across at his partner, praying nothing would happen.

"You... You have to promise not to freak out, okay?" He said nervously.

"Only if you do the same for me." Ross shot back.

The ginger nodded. "Deal."

He took a deep breath

"I... found a grey hair."

"Wait, really?!" Ross exclaimed, his eyes widening.

"Yeah..."

"I found one too!"

Smith turned to him, "You're serious?"

"Yeah. God, I was really scared there for a second." Ross laughed in relief, Smith joining in hastily as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Um, who do you think they are?" Ross asked.

Smith looked down for a second, "I guess there's no chance that we're each other's soulmates..."

Ross reached across and squeezed his hand, "I think we would have started ageing sooner, Smith..."

"I know..."

"Come on, let try and think of who our soulmates might be."

"Um... Who have we met recently..?"

Ross thought for a moment, "That guy Xephos was moving in with?"

"That's his soulmate you pleb."

"Oh right, yeah..." Ross mumbled sheepishly.

"What about that new kid at work? The one you literally bumped into." Smith suggested.

"Hmm, no. I don't feel like it's him. I think it would be someone who made a real impression, ya know? Someone I'd remember."

They lapsed into contemplative silence before Smith mumbled something quietly.

"What?" Ross asked, not having heard.

"I think... I think my soulmate's Trott."

Ross paused in slight shock.

"No."

"What?" Smith turned to look at him.

"I said no, it's not Trott." Ross said decisively.

"Why not?" Smith asked, thoroughly confused.

"Cus Trott's mine mate, fuck off." Ross grinned at him. Smith burst into laughter.

"You can't claim Trott!"

"Just did mate."

"Uh uh nope, that's not how it works."

"It is now."

"You bastard, fuck off!" They laughed loudly, the cars continuing to pass in front of them.

"He's still mine though."

"Fuck you, you can have coffee boy!"

"No, he's waaaay more your type."