Ch 4: Making a Friend

Naruto raised an eyebrow and Deidara explained further. "I never really fit in with the Akatsuki in the first place, hm. After I learned what they were planing I wanted out. My 'disappearance' allowed that, yeah."

Naruto looked at him surprised. "You don't approve of it?" Deidara looked him over and sighed.

"As hard as it is to believe, no, un. I didn't." Deidara sank into his new couch. He pulled a pokéball off his belt and stared at it. Naruto watched him.

With a 'hmph' Deidara put it back in place.

Naruto decided to ask about the strange red and white ball.

"What was that, ttebayo?"

Deidara looked at him and opened his mouth to reply but then closed it. Then his eyes narrowed. "I almost...I shouldn't trust you, un. Why is it I feel like I should? What makes you so special that I want to tell you things I've never told anyone, not even Danna, yeah?"

Naruto walked over and sat next to him. Then he looked out the window at the sky. "I don't know. I don't know why you feel like you can trust me that way. But," he looked Deidara in the eyes, "I feel I can trust you as well. I can tell you're not lying, and that makes me want to earn your trust. To be your friend."

Deidara was taken aback. A friend? He hadn't a real, HUMAN friend ever.

Back in Iwa, they shunned him. In Akatsuki they treated him as a subordinate, even Tobi would sometimes.

"A friend," he mused aloud. He reached over and ruffled Naruto's hair. "My first friend," he grinned," is a ramen fiend."

Naruto blushed and swatted at his hand, scowling. Then what Deidara said sank in. "Your first friend?" He figured Akatsuki knew he liked ramen...it wasn't hard to figure out.

Deidara nodded. Something warm bubbled up in Naruto's chest. He felt special and happy, and it wasn't just a mask.

Deidara's first friend. He grinned at the thought.