Nightmares

Phil heard his bedroom door open. Hearing just the slightest noise in the dark sent his senses on high alert, and he sat up, alarmed.

Standing in his doorway, trying to quietly shut the door, was Dan.

Dan turned around, and jumped slightly at the sight of Phil already awake.

"What is it?" Phil asked, his voice lower than usual due to his sudden awaking.

"The Urge dream, Phil." Dan said, without explanation. "I had it again." Surprisingly, he began to cry. It was a rare sight, and once he started, he couldn't stop.

He started shaking, even, and Phil stood and walked towards him. He carefully put his arms around Dan, hugging him tenderly. "I'm so sorry, Dan. Please don't cry. What happened?"

Dan separated from the hug after a while, and went to sit on Phil's bed. Phil followed.

"Ever since I wrote that fanfiction, I've been having dreams that you actually died. That you did become a soulless vampire and you were no longer Phil. My Phil." he started shaking again.

"Dan. Look." Phil turned Dan to look at him. He saw in Dan's eyes a strange sense of helplessness, one he doesn't often see.

Phil gently brought Dan's hand to his chest. "See? My heart is beating." He left Dan's hand to linger there a bit longer. "Did you feel that? My lungs are filling and emptying with air. I'm alive, Dan, I promise. And I don't plan on leaving you anytime soon."

Dan nearly smiled, both with relief and affection for his best friend.

"Besides, do you really think I could get any paler?"

Dan laughed, surprised. "I guess I should've thought of that." He shoved Phil playfully.

Phil was looking down now. "Hey, guess what?"

"What?"

"I love you."

Dan's eyes grew wide. Phil raised his head to look back at Dan, gauging his reaction. "You...what?"

"I love you," Phil repeated.

"Like...how?"

"Well I've always loved you as a friend, but lately I've noticed that my feelings toward you aren't strictly friendly. I...love you. I don't know why I said it, I just thought--"

Phil was interrupted by Dan's hands around his face and their lips clashing together. Dan moved closer to Phil, kissing him hungrily while Phil kissed him back, surprised. After they separated, pupils dilated, Dan spoke. "Holy shit, that was better than I expected."

Phil could barely form a sentence. "Dan...what?"

"I love you too, Phil. I've loved you for such a long time, but I thought you were straight. You always seemed to like the girls in animes," he smiled slightly, rambling.

"Well, that's because those girls were badass. I did like the guys more, I admit. But whenever I compared any of them to you, they just didn't seem so great," Phil admitted. "I guess that's why I liked the girls better."

Dan smiled. "You're a flaming homosexual. I always wanted to say that."

Phil laughed. "Hey, shut up! So are you," he pointed out.

Dan, becoming serious, asked: "Phil...is it okay if I sleep with you tonight?"

Phil blushed. "Of course."

"And if I have any nightmares--"

"You won't. Because I'm right here, right beside you, and I always will be."