Existential Crisis

"Dan?" Phil called out, entering their apartment. He heard some kind of response from the lounge, and set the groceries he had bought onto the table.

He walked into the lounge, and found Dan sitting on the couch. "Tea?" he asked. Dan nodded. "Please." His voice was rather hoarse, which puzzled Phil, but he went to put the kettle on anyway.

After the tea was done, he brought a mug into the lounge. He sat it in front of Dan, receiving a quiet "Thanks".

Phil pretended not to notice Dan's changed state. He sipped his tea casually, all too familiar of why his best friend seemed so distant. He was having an existential crisis.

These were what Dan was known for on the Internet, but Phil knew that they weren't just some act for comedic effect. Dan's crises were all too real. Sometimes he would sit, and just stare off into space until something in his head made him snap out of it. Usually, Phil would let Dan be, for he knew that Dan probably thought all he did was worsen the situation.

He was feeling different today. It broke his heart to see Dan in this despairing state. Who knew what morbid thoughts could be going through his head.

After a little while, Phil asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Dan didn't even flinch. He didn't look at Phil. It was almost as if Phil didn't exist.

Phil was beginning to think that Dan was ignoring him until Dan did something unexpected. He scooted over beside Phil on the couch, and rested his head on Phil's shoulder. "No," he said, as he closed his eyes and the first tears ran down his face.

Phil was surprised by this, but he gently moved his arm around Dan, to comfort him. "You know, you're not alone," he said, trying to find any words to try to help his best friend. "I usually try to leave you be during these, because I know I can be bothersome. But, if you ever need me, I'm here. Okay?"

Dan nodded slightly, head still on Phil's shoulder. He then moved it to bury into Phil's chest. The older boy's instincts kicked in, and he wrapped his arms around Dan. He didn't understand these crises; there was a possibility that he never would. But he knew one thing for certain; that Dan would never have to go through them alone.

Dan seemed to change his mind about not expressing his thoughts, as he began to speak. "Life is so fleeting, Phil. It all goes away in an instant. You live a little, love a little, and then it's all over."

Phil's deep voice resonated within Dan's ears. "That's why you have to enjoy every minute. You can't sit and dwell on the length of life, Dan. A person can live more in 20 years than someone who lives 80 years. Time has nothing to do with it; it's how you spend it. You have to learn to love with no boundaries, and take any chance you can. I'm just glad I have someone to take the chances with," he said sincerely. Dan seemed less tense at this, as if Phil had said something that comforted him, even if it was slightly.

Phil pressed a kiss to Dan's neck. Dan didn't flinch; he leaned into the kiss, even. Only Phil was allowed anywhere near his neck, ever.

Phil kissed from his collarbone to his jawline, being tender and caring. He then kissed Dan's nose, before cupping his face. "Open your eyes," he whispered. Dan did as he said. "Now promise me, that you'll never let yourself go through your problems alone."

Dan nodded, affection starting to gleam in his eyes. Phil just thought these were more tears gathering in Dan's eyes; he had no idea of how grateful Dan was to have him in his life.

"I promise."

Phil then finally brought his lips to Dan's, both of the men slowly relishing in the kiss. There wasn't hunger, or ferocity; it was a kiss of I'm there, and I always will be. I'm yours.