Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)

"Phil, why are you making me do this?" Dan whined.

"Dan, the dentist said you needed a root canal. You probably shouldn't argue with him," Phil laughed.

The two men were sitting in the waiting room of a London dentist office, Dan worriedly tapping his hand on his knee. Dentists fell under the category of moths, trees, and the Blair Witch for Dan. Not to mention how close they came to touching his neck.

Dan gave an unamused glare at his best friend. Phil casually patted him on the back. "I'm just joking. You'll be fine, I promise."

Dan hated it when Phil touched him. He had been in love with Phil for so many years, and the touching was almost too tempting. He wished he could reach out and stroke Phil's cheek and tell him how beautiful he was and how lucky Dan was to know him, but Dan knew that would never happen. If Phil felt the same way, he would've done something before now, right?

Dan uncomfortably squirmed away from Phil's touch, feeling guilty at the hurt look in his eyes. Why did he look hurt, anyway?

The awkward tension was relieved when Dan's name was called back for his root canal. "Good luck," Phil said, still slightly blue. Dan gave him a little wave.

"Mr. Lester? He's awake," the dentist said, meeting Phil in the main hall.

Phil stood up. "Good. Thanks," he said to the dentist.

"But, you should probably know, he's still on nitrous oxide. You know it as laughing gas. He'll most likely be a bit loopy."

Phil smiled. "This will be fun."

He entered the small room, being greeted by Dan in an uncomfortable-looking dental chair.

"Philip!" Dan exclaimed, reaching out to hug Phil. Phil laughed slightly, and hugged Dan. He wished Dan would hug him when he wasn't high on laughing gas.

"How was it?" Phil asked, not really expecting a genuine answer.

"I don't know, I was asleep silly! But--oh my god Phil I have no hair," Dan said, feeling the skin just under his fringe. "Where's my hair?!"

Phil smiled again. "Reach up higher," he said.

Dan did. "Oh thank god," he said. He continued on almost instantly. "You have nice hair, Phil. I like the colour. I have a crush on you."

Phil was slightly surprised, although he knew it wasn't Dan speaking. It was him in a nitrous oxide-induced state. "You what?"

"I have a crush on you. You know, sometimes I sit at night and think of what would happen if I told you. But I don't. Phil doesn't know though, don't tell him."

Phil blushed. "You're speaking out of your head, Dan."

"No I'm not. I don't touch you because you'll know I have a crush on you. Like in the waiting room." Dan said matter-of-factly. The way he said it, though, made Phil feel like there was some truth behind it.

"You know, we should get married. We can be Dan and Phil Lester. Or Dan and Phil Howell. Sometimes I think of what our wedding would look like."

Phil stayed silent, wondering where this was all coming from.

Dan noticed his silence. He leaned forward, and surprised Phil with a kiss on the cheek. "I've always wanted to do that. But why haven't I?" He seemed genuinely confused. "Oh! I know! It's because...it's because you don't like me back. It's all coming back to me, Phil. Oh my god. I'm sorry." Dan said, tears welling up in his eyes.

Phil couldn't stand to see him cry. Even if Dan wasn't being truthful, he still had to get his feelings out. "Dan, I have a crush on you too," he said shyly.

Dan smiled widely. "That's great." He then yawned. Before Phil could formulate a response, Dan was fast asleep. Phil just sat there while Dan was asleep, wondering what the hell just happened. Was Dan aware of what he was saying? And more importantly, what happens when he wakes up?

A few minutes later, Dan stirred from his sleep. "My mouth hurts," he said. Phil's head snapped up. "I'm sorry." he said.

"I don't even remember what happened before I fell asleep. Did I say...something about my hair or something? Ugh, my head is killing me."

"Something like that." Phil couldn't help the blush that spread across his cheeks.

Dan sat up, now slightly concerned. "Phil, um, what did I say?"

"I don't think you want to know."

"Please, Phil." Dan's tone was urgent now.

"Alright, well, if you insist. You said that you had a crush on me, that you wanted to get married, and you kissed me on the cheek."

Dan's face went bright red. "Bloody hell," he said.

"Is all that true, Dan? I mean I know you say things you don't mean when you're loopy, but.."

Dan took a while, and then nodded. "I do have a crush on you." He admitted quietly, as if ashamed.

Phil stood up, and enveloped Dan in a kiss. It was so arbitrary, so surprising, that Dan pulled away after a moment. He looked into Phil's beautiful orbs. "Are you sure, Phil?" he asked.

"I have been sure for so many years, Dan."
Phil said.

Dan smiled, and brought their faces together again. "Mmm, you're so good, Phil," he whispered into the kiss. Phil blushed, his cheeks heating up Dan's own. He pulled away after a moment. "Does your mouth still hurt?" He asked Dan.

"Yeah, but I don't care," Dan said, moving to kiss Phil again. They kissed for a while, alone in the dentistry room. Phil pulled away again. "You should let your mouth heal before we do that again, Dan."

"I wish you didn't worry about me so much." Dan said, pouting.

"You love me anyway."

"Shut up."

Phil laughed. He kissed Dan's neck. He hadn't expected such a reaction; rather than pulling away, Dan moaned, loudly. He hated his neck being touched, but when Phil kissed it, it only made him think dirty thoughts and want more.

"Do you like that, Dan?" Phil whispered sensually. Dan nodded furiously, yes, yes he wanted more.

"Well, it'll have to wait. We need to get home."

"I hate you." Dan said, half-smiling at Phil's teasing.

"No you don't," Phil practically sang, as they headed out the door and back to their apartment