Abused Ch. 2

After waving John goodbye I nearly ran to my office. I needed to plan for my escape. John driving me to and from work sure does make things difficult. I sigh and put my head on my desk. It was hopeless. How was I to pack my things, or get money from the bank account, or pick up Stephanie, or leave this damn office? I have no idea what John does during the day, for all I know he could be sitting at home, making sure I don't sneak in and pack my bags and leave. What a great husband, right?

I get up and walk to the window. Think, think, think! I tell myself. I had to make sure there weren't any holes in my plan. If John caught me trying to leave him...I shake my head. I don't want to think about that. First things first, I needed to figure out a way to leave this office. With John's suspicions, I haven't been able to contact any of my friends or family in years. They probably hate me by now.

Maybe I should start with finding a lawyer...I groan in frustration and grab the phonebook by my desk. I refuse to use the computer, horrified that John would somehow figure out a way to monitor my internet activity.

I flip through the pages, skimming through all the names. I don't even who to start with, or what kind of lawyer I even need. I'm about to close my eyes and pick randomly when a name catches my eye. Julia Harlow. Oh my god.

I grab my office phone and hurriedly dial the number. Come on, pick up, please pick up, I chant.

"Hello, this is Julia Harlow at Norman Law Offices. How may I help you?" Thank god she picked up.

"Julie, it's Elizabeth Miller." I pray she won't hang up at the sound of my name.

"Holy shit, is it really you Liz? We haven't spoken in years! How have you been? How's John and Stephanie? Why haven't you called? I didn't even know you lived in New York City!"

"I know I know, and I'm so sorry. I'll explain everything, but I don't want to talk about this over the phone. Listen, I really need your help. I don't have a car, so you have to come to my office." My voice cracks at the end and a few tears trickle down my face.

"I'd love to help a lifelong pal but I really can't leave work right now."

"Please, it's an emergency, and it has to be now. I need all the time I can get." I beg, "You're my only hope."

There's a silence on the other line and I know she's hesitating.

"Fine. But it better be damn important. Sheesh, what have you gotten into this time?" She mumbles to herself, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you so much, you'll understand everything as soon as you get here." I hang up the phone.

I put my hands on my face and smile. I can't believe my luck. I sit back down at my desk and look at the photo of John and I on our wedding day. We could have been so happy. I sigh and think about high school. Is it crazy that I'll miss him? Well, I'll miss the side of him that doesn't beat me.

The phone rings and interrupts my thoughts.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Elizabeth, there's a Ms. Julia Harlow here to see you." My receptionist says.

"Let her in please. Thanks Betty."

The door knob creaks and I see Julie walk in. I leap up and we embrace each other for a long time. I start to cry and she holds me tighter, she brushes my hair with her fingers and soothes me.

"I've missed you so much." I say, wiping away the last few tears.

"I've missed you too. You're as beautiful as ever." Julie smiles and ruffles my hair. I laugh and punch her shoulder.