Abused Ch. 17

1 year later

I smile at the scene before me. My parents, Julie, Travis, and of course Stephanie, all around the dinner table. I never dreamed I would ever be this happy. I'm starting to serve my family dinner when it happens. I grab hold of the counter and all I hear are chairs scraping the tile floor and suddenly everyone is gathered around me in panic.

"Mrs. Harlow, would you like to hold your son?"

"Yes." I whisper as the doctor places the baby in my arms. A son...my son. Our son. Travis never takes his eyes off of the baby.

I look at the bundle of life in my arms and there isn't a feeling in the world to describe it. I can't stop smiling at him and his bright blue eyes. He stops wailing and hold him closer, hushing him. I realize I'm being selfish, hogging the baby, especially since this is my second child, so I reluctantly hand him over to Travis.

"Y-you want me to hold him?" Travis freezes. "I-I've never held a baby before, I mean, what if I dr-"

"Travis, hold your son."

Travis carefully grabs the baby as though touching him too harshly would break him into pieces. When he looks down at our child his face changes. I see him having the moment and realization that I had when I held Stephanie in my arms for the first time. The feeling when you're holding a part of you, and you realize that there's something in the world far greater than yourself.

"Hi Liam." Travis whispers to our son. "Welcome to the world."

My head gently hits the pillow behind me and I close my eyes. I knew Travis would make a great father.

Finally. I get to head home and get out of that dreadful hospital. If it's one thing I despise it's hospitals. Nothing in the world makes me feel more trapped. The moment I take a breath of the air outside I feel myself strengthen.

Everyone adores Liam. My parents are so excited about Liam because, due to John's ways, they missed out on most of Stephanie's early childhood. They can't wait to get involved in Liam's life and I'm thrilled to have the two of them in my lives again.

"How are you feeling?" Julie puts an arm around my shoulder. And Julie, it's great to have my best friend back too.

"A little weak, but other than that, I've never felt better." I smile and look up at the bright blue sky. "Oh, did you remember to take those photographs I asked you take?" 

"Of course. Did you really think I'd forgotten?" Julie snorts. "I'm not that old."

"I know." I roll my eyes. "I can't wait to get back to painting! They better be good pictures-I've been dying for some inspiration for my paintings. I still can't believe you went to the Galapagos Islands and didn't take me!"

"You were eight months pregnant!" Julie holds up her hands in defense.

"Yeah...so?"  I trail off. We both start laughing. 

Travis runs over from the car.

"I forgot the baby's seat!" He exclaims.

"Travis, that's Julie's car. The car seat is in the backseat of our car." I smile.

"Oh." Travis looks back at the car and rubs his forehead. "So this is what children do to you."

"Just wait until we try to sleep tonight." I grin. Travis groans. "And please, let's remember who delivered the child and has been trapped in that forsaken hospital for the last five days before complaining, alright babe?" I tease.

Travis can't help but smile as he pulls me into a hug.

Travis holds me in his arms on the couch. Stephanie is watching tv and Liam is in his crib, silently sleeping for the moment.

"I love you." Travis kisses the top of my head.

"I love you too." I look up into his eyes, twinkling just as brightly as the day I left John and met him in the airport.

"I can't believe it's really happening. We're a family now."

"Isn't it wonderful?"

"I couldn't be happier."

"Me neither."

The End

----------------------------------------------------

Update: Check Ch. 18 for updates on my stories. Thank you again SO much for your love and support! I am overwhelmed by your enthusiasm for this little story. Thank you for reading, I am so happy you enjoyed it.