Abused Ch. 7

I refuse to look at Travis at the breakfast table. This makes for a very uncomfortable meal as we all just sit in awkward silence. Sharon gives me a warm smile, and I weakly smile back. She leaves the table to clean the dishes, forcing Travis and I to be at the table alone. I get up and leave. Travis sighs.

The whole day is like this. I'm waiting for Travis to break down and apologize, but he doesn't. This irritates me even more.

I try to play a game with Stephanie to keep my mind occupied, but I'm just so angry. And I feel horrible because Adam is probably waiting for a call he'll never receive. He'll think I'm not interested when really, I am. Drama. I hate it with a fiery passion.

Dinner rolls around and I am not looking forward to dealing with another silent dinner of avoiding Travis. When Stephanie and I walk into the kitchen, Sharon and Travis are dressed up.

"Where are you off to?" I ask.

"Travis and I haven't had an evening alone in a while, so we are going on a romantic dinner." Sharon answers happily and kisses Travis.

"Is it alright that we're leaving? Can you handle making dinner? If not, I could—" Travis starts to say.

"Travis, I can handle dinner." I growl. I turn to Sharon, "You two go have a good time and stay out late."

"Thank you, Elizabeth." Sharon smiles and reaches into her purse, "Here's a twenty. You can take Stephanie to the park and maybe get something to eat. You can borrow my car, the keys are by the front door."

"Thanks." I wave Sharon and Travis goodbye as they walk out of the door. They pull out of the driveway and are out of sight. I sigh with relief for not having to deal with Travis anymore.

"You hear that Stephanie? We get to go to the park and eat in a restaurant!" I say enthusiastically and Stephanie jumps up and down in excitement.

Stephanie and I pile into Sharon's car and head into the city. There's bound to be a park around there somewhere.

After a bit of driving, I eventually find a park and a restaurant across the street. It looks like a nice place so I pull into the parking lot. I glance at the clock and realize that it's probably better to go to the park after dinner.

I take Stephanie's hand and we walk into the restaurant. A waitress greets us warmly and seats us at a table in the back of the restaurant. We are the only two people in this part of the restaurant and I am thankful for the peace and quiet.

I play tic-tac-toe with Stephanie on the back of the children's menu while we wait for our waiter to show up. A man with black hair and blue eyes comes to serve us. I gasp when I realize who it is.
            "Hi Adam..." I say weakly and look down at the table in embarrassment. He's staring at Stephanie in shock.

"I'm really sorry...this is why I didn't call," Lie. "I would love to go out with you, but I have a 4 year old daughter, and I'm going through a d-i-v-o-r-c-e." I spell it out so Stephanie won't ask me questions. "The real reason why I'm staying with Sharon and Travis is that I'm running away from..." I pause. I sigh, realizing he's going to need to know at some point. "From an a-b-u-s-i-v-e husband. After all of this, I assume you don't want to—" Adam places a finger over my mouth.

"Elizabeth, it's really okay. I'm really sorry about your husband, and I'm happy you were able to get away from him, and I don't care if you have a daughter." Adam gives me a pearly white smile.

"Really?" I ask in shock.

"Really." Adam laughs, "I get out of here in an hour, do you want to go on a date then?"