Abused Ch. 6

This was it. I was finally going to talk to my parents. After four years. I wonder if they will even give me a chance to explain, or if they will just hang up when I tell them it's me. Travis and Sharon sit next to me as I hesitantly grab the phone.

"They're your parents, once you explain everything they'll understand." Travis says in an attempt to comfort me. It doesn't really work.

I nod silently and slowly dial the number. It rings for a while, and I'm about to hang up when someone answers the phone.

"Hello? Who is this?" It's my mother. I place a hand over my mouth and hold back tears. I haven't heard her voice in so long. I hadn't realized how much I missed it.

"Mom, it's me, Elizabeth." My voice comes out weak and almost inaudible. There is a long silence on the other line. I hear her trying to hold back sobs. Hearing her in such pain tears me apart and I immediately hate myself for letting John have so much control over me. "I'm so sorry Mom. I love you. I've wanted to call you for years, but I couldn't. I love you so much. Please forgive me, please."

My mom puts me on speaker phone so my dad can hear too. I explain everything to them and Travis sits down beside me and gives me a hug. Sharon does the same.

"I'm staying with Julie's brother, Travis, and his fiancé, Sharon. I would love to stay with you but I can't. I'm afraid John will come looking for me at your house. He will probably be there in the next couple of days, so be on the look out and let him come inside so he can see that I'm not there. Make sure you pretend that you think we are still happily married so he won't know I contacted you. As soon as this whole mess is over, I'll come visit you two. And yes, I'll bring Stephanie too. I love you both so much, and I'm so sorry I haven't called in so long." My parents say goodbye and I hang up. That went much better than expected.

I sigh and lean my head back against the couch. I feel as though a heavy burden has been lifted off of my chest. It feels great to have finally called my parents.

"See? I knew they would forgive you." Travis says softly and I smile in return. He and Sharon get off the couch and head for their room.

I go into the living room where Stephanie is mindlessly watching tv. I sit down next to her on the floor and she puts her head on my shoulder.

"Do you mind if I watch with you?"

"Nope. I like it when you watch tv with me."

My heart melts a little and I kiss her forehead. After about a half hour, Sharon and Travis walk into the living room all dressed up.

"Well hello there. You two sure look nice. Where are you off to?" I smirk.

"We are inviting a few friends over for dinner tonight. You can borrow one of my dresses."

"Oh, okay." I grab Stephanie and place her at the table in the kitchen. I quickly make a grilled cheese sandwich while Sharon throws together a salad and puts a chicken in the oven.

After Stephanie eats her grilled cheese, we go to the guest bedroom.

"Is it alright if you stay in here tonight? We're having a dinner just for adults."

I help Stephanie into her pajamas and she sits up on her bed. A tv sits on a side-table in front of the beds. I order The Lion King on pay-per-view and shut the door.

I walk into Sharon and Travis's room to pick out a dress for dinner. I thumb through the dresses and finally pick out a short purple dress with spaghetti straps. I try it on and it fits perfectly. I grab a pair of purple heels and slip them on. I quickly put on a bit of makeup and put my hair in a bun. I look in the mirror and smile. I clean up quite nicely.