Flashback Three: The Titan's Curse

A/N: Read chapter 6 of Autumn and Mike to find out what happened. I don't want to say here because Shawn isn't much of a main focus point in this story. (Eddie Redmayne as Shawn Lynch. Shawn Lynch is my science teacher and when I told him he died in this story he was like 'WHAT IS IT WITH ME AND DEATH!'.)

*begin flashback* (Calla is 16 years old.)

C∂llis†∂ He was dead because of me. And there was nothing I could do about it, not a single thing! The look on everyone's face was heartbreaking when I came back beaten up and half-dead.

I don't remember much since tears were streaking down my face like rain at the time, but I heard someone's far-away voice ask me where Shawn was. I told him to shut up, and yelled at him why he couldn't see how obvious it was where Shawn was.

The camper had looked back at me with blank eyes, and I remember screaming, "He's dead!" before passing out.

Now all I do is cry near the lake alone, without Shawn's comfort and warmth.

It's been two days since what happened, and none of my close friends have come to see me. I would just tell them to go away, anyways. It doesn't matter. Will, my friend and foster brother, came to tell me it wasn't my fault, but I ignored him and kept on staring at the sea.

Some Ares camper stopped by to tell me how stupid and careless I was, and that no one would ever like me again. I just mumbled at him, "screw you." After all, it was true, wasn't it?

A while later, Clarisse came to apologize for her brother's recklessness and stupidity. I told her I was the one that was reckless and stupid.

I should've pushed Shawn out of the way, or if he was too stubborn, I should have killed myself as well. But no, I just had to be selfish and go on without him like I didn't ever care about him. Now that I ponder it more and more, I realize I should just kill myself right here and now.

My hand trembled as I picked up the dagger Shawn had forged for me 2 years ago, when he was still courting me. It made me sob harder. I knew I should use it because if  he died because of me, I should die because of him, or at least a weapon he made.

I plunged the dagger into the sand on the beach, an inch away from where I was sitting. I needed a moment to apologize to Shawn.

Though I had stopped crying, tears still stained my skin. I pried the dagger back out, and got ready to thrust it into my chest. 1..., I thought. 2...3!

But a strong hand stopped me. "Calla," the voice said gently. "Shawn died for you. If he did that, that means he really loved you, and wanted you to live a happy life. Honor him by not killing yourself, but if you insist, I'll let you. I'm not anybody to stop you if it's against your will."

I looked up to see Hermes. I dropped the dagger and sobbed into his chest. He gave me a soft peck on the top of my head. After I calmed down, I thanked Hermes for being there for me. He just smiled painfully.

"I know what it feels like." He whispered. "Believe me, I know."

H£rM£s I materialized next to Calla just in time to stop her from killing herself. 

"Calla," I said. "Shawn died for you. If he did that, that means he really loved you, and wanted you to live a happy life. Honor him by not killing yourself, but if you insist, I'll let you. I'm not anybody to stop you if it's against your will."

She looked up at me and hugged me tightly. Then she started to cry.

I knew just one year ago I had thought she would never be mine because of her boyfriend. I didn't resent him or anything, I wanted Calla to be happy.

And now, Shawn's dead, which means I have my chance. But I want to wait awhile-maybe two more years-to show any romantic feelings towards her, because I would feel guilty for just kicking Shawn out of Calla's world like that.

And the kiss I gave her? If she asked about it, I would tell her it was a friend's kiss, to make her feel better, though that isn't true.

"I know what it feels like." I told her. "Believe me, I know." Painful memories of May and Luke Castellan came back, but I ignored them and tried to focus on the girl in my arms.

Author's Note
=========================
Turns out, it's actually Friday that we're properly celebrating Christmas. Seriously? Anyways, I'm obsessed with the Legend of Zelda, have been for months. I'm currently trying to beat the Wind Waker, which is probably the easiest of the Zelda games. Until next time,

Save the world

Read fanfics

Ship Caleo

Fight monsters

Love ice cream

~DragonsOfIceCream (Or known as everythingleovaldez on Instagram, please follow!)