Chapter Six

C∂llis†∂ I sobbed into Apollo's chest, unable to control my feelings. If someone knew that I had cried three times in the last month, they'd probably think, what a wimp. Well, that person would be wrong because obviously, they had never been in this situation before.

I mean, what are you supposed to do when two gods fall in love with you, break your heart, then want to get back together, and then hurt you again? I know none of us are dating, but still, I'm getting the weirdest case of mixed emotions ever.

A few minutes later, when I stopped crying, I punched Apollo in the chest. Hard.

He doubled over, coughing, and shot a horrified look at me. "What was that for?" He exclaimed. "It's not like I ever did anything to hurt you. In fact, I healed your injury. If it weren't for me, you'd be dead."

I stared at him, waiting for him to realize what he had just said wrong. Fact about Apollo: he's arrogant and oftentimes on focuses on his own feelings instead of others'.

"I healed your injury." I mocked him. "If it weren't for me, you'd be dead." I did my best impression of him. "If it weren't for you, O great hero, I wouldn't have been injured in the first place!

Apollo opened his mouth, then closed it. He winced in guilt. "Hey...Cals. Um...I-I mean, Calla. Callista." He spread his hands in exasperation. "Whatever you want me to call you, you...you do know I didn't mean that, right?"

"Yeah, no, you just happen to say stupid, inconsiderate things every time you see me."

Apollo rubbed his forehead. "It's not like that...Callista. I..."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Yes?"

Suddenly, Apollo started laughing. I looked at him, surprised. "Um...uh...what?"

His laughing died down to a chuckle. "Gods, I love it when you do that." He smiled flirtatiously at me.

"Do...what, exactly?" I questioned. "And stop smiling. It's hard to stay mad at you when you're smiling."

Apollo rolled his eyes and grinned at me. I couldn't help but crack a smile, too. "Whenever you put on the tough girl act. It's like...a sheep, hiding under a wolf's skin. I love it when you do that."

I scoffed. "Instead of the other way around? I thought I looked like the perfect angel." I did a mock puppy face.

Apollo shrugged and his smile faded from his face. "I'm sorry." He stood up and wrapped his arms around my waist, standing behind me. Involuntarily, I let out a small sigh of content, not loud enough for Apollo to hear, though.

"Date me?" He whispered into my ear. I shivered.

"Stop acting like a jerk, then maybe I will."

Apollo laughed. "Sure."

I looked up at him. "You know..."

"What?"

I hesitated. "Hermes...Hermes loves me, too. Or, so he says."

Apollo blanched. "What?" He let go of me. "You didn't think to tell me that sooner?" he winced.

"Well, you just took me out today. Plus, Hermes only told me a few days ago."

He sighed. "I can't...I can't date you then. I can't do that to my own brother."

I frowned at Apollo. "What, you don't think Hermes can speak up for himself?"

"He's always been the shier one between us."

"Just because he's caring doesn't mean he's shy." I defended him.

"Exactly. To be honest, I'm...not sure I can keep a steady relationship going. But Hermes, Hermes cares about every woman he goes out with. Me, I couldn't care less."

I pulled away from Apollo. "You know, most guys would try to impress me. But what you just told me makes the prospect of going out with you less appealing."

Then, there was an uncomfortable silence between us. After a while, I finally spoke.

"I expected you to be more charming."

Apollo looked taken aback. "What?"

"With other girls, you're all flirty and stuff. Now, you just...you don't talk much and when you do, it's either a sad joke or trying to make up an excuse for not wanting to be with me."

"What?" he said again. "Why do you think I don't want to be with you?"

"For starters, this date wasn't your idea. It was my dad's."

"That doesn't mean-"

"I'm not done, Sunshine." I interrupted. "I cried like, twice on this date. That's unheard of, okay? Practically nobody cries on a date unless they're getting dumped or being tortured."

"Then, you talk about how you're not worthy and shit."

Apollo opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when he saw the expression on my face. "Please continue." He said sheepishly.

"Don't even get me started on your appearance. You look hideous."

"What-what's wrong with how I look?"

"Shut up. You're not allowed to speak." I got up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get some spaghetti."

Author's Note
=========================
Merry late-Christmas and happy New Year's, everyone! Kind of a short chapter since I'm on a deadline. Not really, but you get the gist. Until next time,

Save the world

Read fanfics

Ship Caleo

Fight monsters

Love ice cream

~DragonsOfIceCream