Chapter Four: The Date Part 1

A/N: Sorry for inactivity. School is being a jerk.

C∂llis†∂ The way down the Olympic elevator was devastatingly long. It was just me and Apollo, and the terrible elevator music didn't help either.

Finally, the elevator dinged and we were back on the first floor. Even so, we didn't speak.

It was Apollo who finally broke the silence. "So, uh, where do you want to go? And don't say Chick-Fil-A."

"McDonald's." I said.

"Seriously?" he asked. "I thought I said no Chi-oh."

I looked smugly at him and he ran a hand through his hair. "You don't really want to go there, do you? I mean, no reasonable person goes to McDonald's on a date."

I glared at him. "Not a date." I huffed.

"Really? Most cases, when a guy asks a girl out to lunch, it's a date."

"Okay well, one, you didn't really ask me. Two, this is not 'most cases'. 'Cause I'm pretty sure when a god asks you out, it probably means he wants to have sex."

I wasn't one of those people who got all jittery around the topic of having sex, since it was all normal when you were dealing with gods.

"Wow," he said. "That's really... straightforward."

"You don't disagree then?"

Apollo threw his hands up in exasperation. "I don't think that's all you're good for. I mean, you girls can...look good?" he finished weakly.

I slapped him. "You're hot, but sexist."

Apollo smiled at that. "You think I"m hot?"

I scoffed. "No. You're horrifying."

"C'mon. You said I'm hot."

"At times. Other times, you're a freakin' pain."

"You sound like Artemis." He stated.

"You sound like James Bond."

He looked confused. "I do?"

"No."

"What?"

"Never mind. Let's go to a café."

"Why?" Apollo asked.

"'Cause we're going out to lunch, stupid." If I had insulted any other god that way, they would've blasted me to smithereens. But I knew it was okay with Apollo.

And yes, I do think he's hot.

"Oh," he said. "I...kinda got sidetracked with the talking."

"Kinda."

"Well, whatever." Then he smiled and opened the passenger door to his car.

I raised an eyebrow at him and he did this kind of formal bow. "After you, my lady."

I poked his chest. "Shut up."

Apollo looked at me with a warm look in his eyes. Then he gave me a quick peck on the lips and started the engine.

I gave him a questioning look and he just grinned.

-=+=-

We had been driving for about half an hour when we passed the café.

"I thought we were going to the café." I asked, confused.

Apollo looked at me and grinned again. "I had other plans in mind. That's okay with you, right?"

"Sure." I said. "But why bothering to ask me where I wanted to go if you already chose somewhere?"

"I just thought it'd be interesting to see your answer."

"Was it interesting?"

He chuckled. "You could say that."

A few minutes passed, and Apollo said, "Take a rest. It'll take us a little while longer to get there."

"Can't you tell me where we're going?"

"I want it to be a surprise."

I shrugged. "Whatever." Then I went to sleep.

-=+=-

"Hey. Wake up." Someone told me gently.

I opened my eyes to see Apollo.

I yawned. "We're here?"

"Yes, sleepyhead." He said playfully.

"I would hit you, but I'm too disoriented. I'll get you later."

"Thanks for the warning."

I looked up at the sky. To my surprise, it was nighttime. "Wow, how long were you driving?"

Apollo shrugged. "Couple of hours. Now, come on."

He gently lead me out of the car and told me to cover my eyes. "No peeking."

Apollo lead me down a hill and I realized we weren't going to a restaurant. He couldn't expect us to...do it tonight, could he?

Nervously, I followed him for another minute. Then, he suddenly stopped. "We're here."

I opened my eyes and my jaw dropped. Wordlessly, I looked at him.

"Speechless, for once?"

How could I not be? In front of me was a secluded area surrounded by a beautiful grove of olive and birch trees. In the middle was a picnic blanket with all sorts of food laid out, and candles in the middle of the blanket.

Finally, I spoke. "Wow."

"You did all this?"

He shrugged and held my hand. "I had a few tips from Aphrodite...and your dad."

I looked quizzically at Apollo. "My dad? He approves?" Dad had always said he would kill anyone seeking my hand. (Not like holding my hand, you know what I mean.)

"Crazy, I know. But he thinks that I could help with your..." he hesitated, looking for the right word. "Heart."

At first, I didn't know what he was talking about. Did he mean heart as in love? "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, your, cancer thing." Apollo stuttered. I had told Dad about my cancer on the night Luke died. Again, I only did that because I was grief-stricken.

Hurt, I pulled away from him. "You mean you only did all this because my father told you to? Not because you love me?"

"No! I-I do!" Apollo said desperately.

"Is our whole friendship based on lies?" I was yelling and crying by now. "Are we even friends at all?!"

Apollo grabbed my hand. "I love you, I really do." I hit him hard in the chest, and he winced. "Callie-" he began.

"NO! You have no right to call me that! I hate you!" I sobbed.

He flinched again. "Please, don't..." his voice cracked and I ran. I didn't care where I was going, I just ran.

Author's Note
=========================
I wanted to put what happens after Calla runs away in this chapter, but I decided it was more dramatic leaving off with "I just ran." xD I also got into my school's Pre-AP class, and it's so freaking hard-not to mention stressful! Wish me luck, guys. Until next time,

Save the world

Read fanfics

Ship Caleo

Fight monsters

Love ice cream

~DragonsOfIceCream