SIX

"Hello" a lady said, "is there anything you want?"

"Um, yes. I'll just have a coke." Makio said as he stared at the menu.

"Okay, and what about you?" as the lady asked me.

"Can I have a Cappuccino please?"

"Yes." and the lady walked away.

The smell of brewing coffee all around. Sunny weather and peacefulness. Makio sat across from me in this favorite cafe of mine. He stared out the window with serenity. Just now, I noticed that his bangs weren't covering his right eye like they were that first day of school. I wondered if he cut them. As his head was still turned towards the window, he moved his eyes towards me, catching me staring at him. He smirked a smile.

"Do you come here often?" He asked me.

"Uh, yes. A few times a month" I said as I looked down at the table.

Makio reached over the table, and tilted my head back to look at him. His hand was warm.

"Did you cut your bangs?" I asked him as I still wondered.

He touched his hair, "oh yea, this? Yeah I did, a few days ago."

"I see, and why was that?"

"When I told you about my father, I said he abused me. There was always bruises near my eyes that were difficult to cover up with makeup. I decided to grow my bangs out to cover them. But they're starting to go away, so this is a new change for me." He smiled in relief.

"I'm glad to hear" I said and continued, "So um, where did you go to school before?" I asked.

"In the next town over, if you were to continue walking that road you took to my house. I left because of bullying and my father and other reasons."

"Oh," I responded.

"Here you go, a Coke and a Cappuccino." the lady said as she gave us our drinks.

"Thank you" I said to her as she placed mine down and walked away. I took a sip, "mmm, this is delicious."

"That smile, you look like you really like it."

"I do. Do you want a sip?"

Makio's eyes slightly widened, "oh, no, no. I don't drink coffee."

"Common, just one sip" I slowly slid the Cappuccino towards him.

He was shaking his head, "no, I couldn't."

"Aweeh, why not?"

"Okay, fine." He grabbed the cup and drank a little. "Oh, this is good."

"Told you." I said as I started to laugh.

Not long after Makio looked outside and saw a girl who was walking outside, down the road towards the building he was in. He grabbed his Coke and placed it next to his face and he turned away from the window.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

Makio mumbled as I did not know what he said.

"What?" I asked again.

That girl stopped right out our window as she spotted Makio. She rushed into the building right away. "I found you," she loudly spoke.

I realized who she was and I tried hiding my face with my left hand as I turned towards the window. Why is she here?  I wondered to myself.

"Oh... hello." He responded.

"Your hiding skills aren't too good you know." She said.

"Oh... oh... I was hiding?" He fakely laughed.