Chapter 3: Here we go!

We went to the airport at three in the morning. It took us two hours to get to McCarran International Airport in Vegas. I was so tired I slept the whole way. I didnt realize that I was in such a deep sleep, until, someone lifted me out of the car and up a flight of stairs. I was laid on something flat, but very comfortable. I fell right back to sleep.

I woke up and I was assumming that we were at HQ. I opened my eyes to see that we were still on the plane. I looked around to see my dad slumped over a table. I took my seat belt off and walked over to my dad. I felt this wave of dizziness fall over my body. I fell onto a lap and when I looked up I was surprised at what I saw.

I saw a boy about my age with dark brown hair and pale blue eyes. He had an amazing tan and nice muscles. I opened my mouth to say something, but I quickly stood up.

"So sorry about that." I said and my cheeks were really hot. I must have been cherry red.

I quickly walked to my dad and I didn't let the mysterious kid say anything. He was cute so I didn't really want to ruin it.

"So dad, what are you up to?" I looked at him quizically. I guess I haven't really talked to him  a lot. And it was a little awkward.

"I'm, umm, just doing a couple things concerning a file that was lost." He sighed and looked at me. He gave me a stiff, tired smile.

I walked over to where I was last sitting. On the table in front of me was a laptop. Mine was back in Vegas and I have no idea who's this was. I opened it and say a note attached to the screen. It was from my dad of course. I got on and checked my Facebook and my e-mail. I closed the screen and found myself looking and the boy who was there on the plane. I had no idea who this was and I didn't want to ask. I had a feeling like I already know him, but he doesn't look familar.

I averted my sight to out the window. We must have been in DC, because it was crowded and I could see the capital building from here. When we landed, We went to HQ and it was scary. I've never seen so many men in one lobby. My dad flashed a badge and we went to the elevator. We boarded and my dad hit the top floor button. We got to the top and I saw a cluster of tables in a large room. I saw a couple offices that were small and big. I followed my dad to the corner office and I sat down.

I looked around and saw lots of stuff. I saw a trophie from college that my dad won in football. There were a couple CD's and stereo sytem next to it. My dad left so I went around to his desk and saw a picture of me and mom at the beach. I remembered that day like it was yesterday. Dad was singing way off and mom was laughing so hard. That's when we lived near the beach and every Saturday we had a picnic.

My eye still had that  picture when my dad walked in. He said something about Rome and that's when everything sunk in. My mom was dead and my dad knew who did it. I sat down in one of the chairs across from my dad's desk. I started to cry instantly.

I didn't hear my dad leave, but someone called my name. I chose to ignore it. Then I felt a hand on my right shoulder. That same hand pulled me up and into a hug.

I cried for what felt like hours. When I finally decided to compose myself, I saw that it wasn't hours, but only ten minutes. I wiped my eyes and focused my good eye. I looked up and saw that boy from the plane standing there. I looked into his eyes and saw sadness and pain. I wondered why.

"I'm so sorry. It's just..." I let the sentence trail. I looked back up at him to see that he was staring back. I pulled back from his embrace. It felt weird because it was like I was made to fit in the boy's arms.

"Hi, I'm Lacy. And you are?" I was shaking and I was sure he wouldn't answer. Then his sweet husky voice filled my ears.

"Hi, I'm Oakley. Your dad and mine work together." My heart skipped a beat when I realized he was staring at me. Then I realized that I was just staring.

"Oh, yeah, umm, I'm so sorry again. Thank you for being there even if I barely know you." I smiled and sat back down right as my dad walked in. He still looked sad but pain overtook his eyes.

"Oh, hi Mr. Ruiz. I was just leaving. See you later Lace." No one called me that but my dad. Well, he was cute but it felt a little weird.

"So what next?"  I looked at my dad but I had to look away. The pain in his eyes made me want to burst into tears.

"Well we have to fly over to Rome and the we will plan there."

"Why Rome?"

"Because that's our only HQ that's near Russia." I was actually looking forward to leaving the country.

We were to board our plane in an hour. I went to the bathroom to freshen up when I saw a big gash on my side. I don't think my dad noticed, but it was the biggest cut I've ever seen. I went back to my dad's office and showed him. He told me to go to floor 6 and have the medical team take a look at it.

I did as I was told and got it bandaged. Here we go, I thought.