What Happened in Room 216

Yay for covers being made! You all are so amazing!!

Also wow I'm really close to 100k and screaming! I'm so happy gah! You guys are absolutely amazing! I have a solid like 400 of you who keep up with every chapter and comment and I love seeing your comments! I feel like I get to know you and people who have the funny comments vs the sweet and cute ones and ah I just love you all so much!

Anyways, onward (I've been reading Famoux - can you tell??)

Previously on:

"Elizabeth?" A groggy KJ squeezes my hand, as he wakes up.

"Holy shit. Liz!" He curses and looks to me like a deer in headlights.

But I can't even acknowledge him yet because I can't take my eyes off of her.

***
"Hey hey Elizabeth. Lizzie. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. Please please listen to me." Tate frantically called out trying to calm me down.

"No. No. No. Why is she here. Why Tate? You promised. You promised." I gasped out breathlessly tears threatening to spill over. I run my hands through my hair and rub my eyes trying to make everything just go away.

"Listen to me. Listen." KJ pleas and grabs my hands. My eyes lock on his and I quickly feel my heart rate slow down and his thumb slowly makes circles on the back of my hands. With each second looking at KJ and Tate the more my heart calmed.

"You're right. I promised. And I would never break my promise to protect you. Dad, my dad, he's working on it." Tate explains.

My eyes flash to the door and out the glass window and I see no one in the hallway but nurses and doctors walking across. "Where is she." I whisper and look to Tate.

"She's not here. We made it clear she's not allowed near you. My dad and I are taking you in. You're not going back there and she's not coming back here."

"But how- I mean I-"

"Don't worry about it right now Liz. You need rest, your body hasn't healed yet."

I shake my head, " no no I'm fine."

"Liz. You're not." KJ frowns and points to my stomach. I look down me pull down the covers to see my bandaged stomach and bruised skin.
I got to touch the bandages and at the slightest touch I recoil my hand as pain shoots through my spine.

"What h-happened?" I stutter out.

"There was an accident. A car accident." Tate starts.

My heart rate picks up and I try to wrap my mind around what Tate is saying, something about a car and a red light. But I can't focus, my mind is spinning with confusion and pain.

KJ's grip tightens on my hand and I look to him. My eyes clouded over with tears, I focus on him. I focus on his eyes, and his fingers tracing circles on my arm. I look down to see the IV attached to my arm and follow the wires with my eyes. I look down and see wires on my chest and oxygen tubes in my nose.

I try my best to keep my breathing even. Letting my eyes trail and let Tate's voice drown out in the background.

But then I hear his voice. I see his face plastered over with shock, his form waiting in the door way, one hand on the door and the other on the wall.

And in that moment nothing else really mattered, my whole being was filled it's relief and all I could get out was barely a whisper,

"Alex."

I see a ghost of a smile starts to appear on Alex's face, but it was soon replaces with a  anger.

"Why didn't you tell me she was awake?" Alex shouts looking furiously at KJ.

"BECAUSE- " KJ starts but is cut off by Alex yelling at him.

KJ stands and Alex comes up to him, Tate walks over getting in between the two but the shouting doesn't subside.

"Guys!" I try to shout out but my voice isn't strong enough. I try again.
And again.
By the fourth time I try but by voice is replaced by a scream coming out of my lips in pain and machines around me blaring and lighting up.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU IDIOTS DO NOW?" I hear Carter scream and a nurses rush forcing everyone to leave.

"Everyone out." A doctor commands in the chaos. I notice a quiet Kyle in the corner sigh and get up to leave, dragging a complaining Alex behind him. I look to Carter quickly to see her pestering the nurses asking what is happening and if I'll be okay.
The doctor says something about my heart rate and blood pressure before shooing more people away that I hadn't noticed were in the room.

My mind and eyes are all over the place but one thing becomes clear the moment KJ's hand lefts go of mine.
I look to him and shake my head, "please." I whisper pit barely audible. But KJ knows me, he knows every little look of mine and knew that without saying much my eyes were begging him not to leave.

"Please, everyone but family. Visiting hours are over." The doctor looks directly at KJ.

And at the same time two voices mush together
"I am family." KJ mutters
"He is family." Tate says at the same time.

I couldn't help but smile through the pain shooting through me because it wants true. My whole life being a series of unfortunate confusing events and my family by blood not exactly being my family. I had a core group of people I considered family. It hasn't exactly occurred to me until a few months ago.

***

It was a night like any other. Mom had come home and was angry about some client at work which then turned into getting beyond angry at me about not doing the dishes and how their was a dirty dish towel on the counter or something like that.

It had ended with her saying some nasty things about how if I didn't eat so much their wouldn't be so many dirty dishes.
And so I left and walked to the bookstore down the street and waited for KJ after his shift at the coffee shop inside.
We sat on a couch in the corner, he'd brought me an extra large steaming hot latte and I was so happy just sitting their with KJ that I could barely remember what had happened earlier.

"Yeah know, I think you're right." I say to KJ, "it is going to be okay. Because even though my family is messy and confusing I have a substitute family. I mean obviously Carter , Tate and George...but also you. I mean you're always here, you're more family than most of mine has ever been. And you never fail to be here and I just..." I stutter over my words. I look over to KJ and smile. " you're my family. I mean home is where the heart is right? And god knows my heart isn't where my physical house is." I let out a laugh. And in that moment KJ finally understood how much he actually meant to me and he knew that even in my humble of words. He knew. I could see it in his eyes.

***

I look up to the doctor, " He's family. He stays."

Awe how cute are they?
Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Have a fabulous day
Xx-Elle