22: To Flee or Not to Flee

Another dedication to Ahaheartbahbay? Yes indeed. She is actually the "Sammy" who is on a date with Abe right now. And after she made me all those awesome banners again, How could I not dedicate the chapter to her?

***Remember that I'm doing the competition for best chapter written from another character's perspective. There's a note from me on my message board with details. Prizes include cool stuff, like me telling all my fans to read your stuff, and me giving you feedback on every chapter of one of your stories. It ends this Wednesday, August 24. 

Also, my next update will be really soon because I already wrote it. It was originally part of this chapter, but it was so dang long that I decided to split it up. Enjoy the read.

And thanks again for all your support. I have the BEST FANS EVER! XOXO

Anton pulled me by the hand, eyeing my duffle bag, no doubt concluding that this was the reason we’d acquired a tail on our way here. The Escalade separated us from everybody else before Anton leaned in and whispered in my ear.

“We have a problem.”

Once again, at close range his cologne bull’s-eyed my olfactory nerve. I allowed myself to enjoy it, deciding that it was okay to have a weakness for cologne, just not for the person wearing it.

Anton shook me by the shoulders gently, looking kind of concerned. I’m sure my eyes must have glazed over for a moment there. And then I realized what he said.

“Oh! What? What’s the problem?”

Ant covered my mouth with his hand, searching the surrounding area to make sure my outburst hadn’t attracted any attention. Then he slipped his phone from his pocket, navigated it to a text, and then handed it to me.

Boss: Results are here. Bring Jade home.   

22: To Flee or Not to Flee

I tried to decipher the subtext behind the message in my hand, but decipher it I could not. If he had the results, he would now have scientific proof that I am definitely not his offspring. So why does he want me? I didn’t have the privacy or writing utensils necessary to make a bulleted list, so I did it mentally.

·         It could be because he wants to eliminate a possible security breech in the form of a sixteen year old girl, who may or may not know too much about his organization.

·         Maybe it’s because he also submitted the DNA of his long gone wife and found that my DNA matches hers, and he has formed his own theory on why that would be.

·         Or it’s possible that either Ivan or Igor told on me?

·         And it’s still conceivable that Anton isn’t really on my side. But, that was getting more difficult for me to believe.  

·         There’s also a chance that he just wants to meet the famous Thriller Girl, because my video is that cool. Okay, that last one isn’t likely.

But no matter the reason he wants me brought in; I’ve already decided that I’m not going. Because there couldn’t possibly be any benefit in my cooperation.

Right now, my best defense against the mafia is my professed ignorance of them. If I go, I can’t claim to not know about the mafia, and thereby lose any chance of getting off the hook playing the ignorance card. And since he knows that I’m not his, he probably just wants to exact revenge for a sin that he imagines his wife committed against him.