42.

I watch as Nate tackles one of his teammates who is obviously his competitor at that point.

Awww...the art of football. I feel a little taken back by how sappy I just sound. He then takes the ball home and I suddenly find the urge to cheer. Okay, that is shocking. When since I had an urge to cheer?

Mom and coach Longmore probably were right about this cheerleading thing. Or is it what is making me this way...?

"Amber, did you hear me?" Coach Longmore asks quite impatiently...wait, I did not just call Mr. Longmore coach. Did I? I mean, am I turning a lunatic?

Well, no doubt duckward.

I shake my head in response, not trusting myself to speak. Next thing you know I am saying "quack" instead of talking. Okay, I have no idea how that comes up...quack? Like really?

"Okay, how about you come a little closer to the rest of us," he tells me with a frown. "I know you are pretty tired from the soccer match this morning, but can you please stay with me. We need you to hear this."

Is he asking me? I mean, all my life no one has really asked me to do something for them in such a soft voice. Probably Nathan, but him? My supposedly cousin and "therapist"? One I was never told about before(the day before Thanksgiving does not count. I have been going to school from September and in November they decide to tell me. They make it real hard for me to not let out a string of curses their way). Maybe this is a way of manipulating me. He is a therapist, anything can be possible.

Nonetheless I nod and walk further from the footballers and right beside Ramona and one of those minions. Maybe Tracy? Or is it Stacy? I shake my head of my thoughts. It makes no sense I try to remember their names because I will just forget again. I look around and realize I am the center of attention here. And he calls this a little closer? Little his d...

"Are you okay, Amber?" He asks, concern etched on his oh so familiar face. Thank God we aren't blood relatives. Why did his aunt marry my uncle? Probably this could have all been avoided if they didn't. Or could it?

"I think so, Mr. Longmore," I answer, confirming my response with a nod. Although I don't feel so comfortable getting the front view of his face and having Stacy(Tracy or whatever) here with her humongous boobs near my face because of her height is making me uncomfortable.

"You can just call me Coach L," he tells with a smile. I refrain from roll my eyes. Wouldn't want to disappoint his smiling brown eyes. Okay that is a dead set lie. I couldn't care less if I disappointed him or anything. It is just that every girl here(except me) likes or has the "hots" for Mr. Coach here and I don't want to get "accidentally" hurt again. These girls can give some serious glares and by the looks of things, the few weight lifting boys like him too(don't really have the facts since none has told me, but it is kind of obvious), not sure romantically or not.

Before I know it, Mr. Longmore has created a plan for how we will cheer and all. He is already directing instructions that we should do. Unlike the first day of practice, I find it quite easy maneuvering around without bumping into anyone.

"Okay Amber, you go on top," Mr. Longmore orders from his clipboard and I am immediately thrown up to the top by the boys without a moment hesitation.

Thankfully I reach up top of our... whatever shape this is which is definitely not a triangle, with a beaming smile plastered on my face. Not as gracefully as I would like, but this doesn't really allow you to be graceful...if you are me because I saw Ramona do this exact thing perfectly earlier. I hate this, especially the smiling and lifting my foot in the air wearing a skirt. I understand the shirt has shorts attached underneath, but it still doesn't feel right. I do as I am told anyways and Mr. Longmore smiles which means he is satisfied, while I am here worrying as I feel a little bubble of butterflies escape inside my tummy just as he smiled. And it wasn't the good kind of butterflies.

Please, please, get me down this... thing before one of these people swoon or something.

I have never had a broken bone before, but Nate has. I have seen and heard enough to know it is not a happy situation and I do not want to end up in the ER today. Finally, my feet meet solid ground and I immediately feel relieved. After some stretches and all kind of after-practice things, practice is over.

I wipe the sweat from my eyebrow with the back of my hand when I turn to look over at the footballers. I am greeted by the sight of Nate's behind as he walks inside. Just then a winter wind blows and I wrap my hands around my torso before heading inside as well.

Why do they make us do sports when it is practically winter? I thought as I pass Mr. Longmore and give him a nod. Because the cold is going to my head for I actually thought about Nate in a way that is far out of friend zone.

My cheeks warm up and I know it isn't because of the assault of the cold air. But of a particular person.

I try to focus on changing and all to head home for I will be meeting that same person later when he drives me home. Yep, my car suddenly stops working and now I am stuck with Nate. How convenient...

1999beauty
All rights reserved.