43.

"You filthy player," I barked a little too loudly, but I am obviously joking and he knows it. "You set this whole thing up!"

"Nathan Saunders!" I hear his mother scowl him outside his door in the hallway and he groans.

I grin at him and his eyes immediately narrow into slits as they zero in on their target. That target being me of course.

I laughed and he latched after me, trying to catch me, but I dodged his grip in time and was out his room. For years I have disliked how small I always looked, but now, I am so happy for being small. It really has its advantages.

I meet Mrs. Saunders in the kitchen. She looks up from the fridge as I jog up beside her. Surprisingly, she gives me a frown.

"Is everything okay?" She asks and I grin wildly.

"You are a professional chef, right?" I ask sweetly and she nods as she straightens and shut the fridge door. "Could you please tell me if Nate-"

"Don't answer her mother!" I hear Nate shout, but before I can convince her otherwise, I am swept off my feet and then faced with the view of his butt covered in jeans.

"Let go of me, you animal!" I shout through my giggles as I pound at his back with my fists. Although that is pretty much done in vain since all I feel is his concrete muscles. Gush, can this be anymore embarrassing?

"Should I be worried?" His mother asks as he walks away with me on his shoulder, struggling to avoid my face from reaching his ass.

I don't care if it is covered by jeans, I do not, and I repeat, do not want my face at his butt. Just for my sanity and saving myself of suffering some face disease. A chuckle escapes through my lips before I can stop it as I silently laugh at my own joke.

"No, mom," Nate answers as I try to wiggle out of his grip. "It's a new game we are playing for the new year."

"Kids..." I hear his mother mutter as she fades out of sight.

I can see why Ramona always has to stay far from me when she is talking. My ears are really sensitive.

"Let go of me," I groan, trying to use a different tactic since the physical one is quite not working in favor of me at the moment. "You're hurting me."

I don't see him, but I know when he rolls his eyes. And this is one of those times. I swat his butt on impulse.

"How dare you..." Just then a stinging sensation spreads from my ass cheeks.

I gasp, but before I can snap at him for his hostile and caveman behavior, I am thrown on to his bed and trapped by his body.

"You know, I actually enjoyed Christmas with you," I say honestly, not even bothering to struggle in his hold. "But it is the very opposite here on new year.

"Hey, it isn't my fault," he defends and I roll my eyes. Like seriously? "My new year's resolution did not have anything about smacking your butt. It was all on you."

I stare at him with seriousness that I hope he can see even though I don't feel it. A moment of silence passes and I become restless. He is way too patient for his own good. Why is he even doing this? That chess game was nothing. This is the first game I actually thought I would win, but he had to go and cheat. Best friend in the whole world. Fantastic.

"Get off," I groan. I have been doing a lot of that lately. "This is awkward and you are crushing me with your heavy weight."

"Amber Addison," he says with a pointed look. "We aren't even touching."

"Well, your body heat is crushing me," I snap back at him and he leans in closer. Okay, this isn't awkward at all. "This isn't making it any better."

He doesn't even blink. Is he seriously doing this? I saw a chocolate cake in the fridge earlier and I want to devour it. Not...doing this. Oh yes you do. I still want chocolate cake. Period.

"When did you have such snappy remarks?" He asks and I hesitate to answer, not knowing if it's a rhetorical question. But he adds nothing else, so I take that as my cue.

"A new year's resolution...?" I shrug although he still has a firm grip on my wrists above my head.

"Really?" He cocks an eyebrow at me with an amused grin. His breath caresses my face as he speaks and I am glad to say I will die of mint ecstasy. I don't say anything and his grin turns into a smirk.

"Okay," I sigh in defeat. "I am sorry."

He nods. "That's what I have been waiting for."

He climbs off from on top of me and I pull myself up by my elbows. Thank God! I don't even want to think about how weird and intimate that just looked.

"Crazy bastard," I mutter under my breath as I watch him stride towards the door and to my bad fortune, he stops and spins around to face me. He quirks a black eyebrow at me. Lord, why did he have to hear me?

"What did you say?" He inquires and takes a threatening step towards me.

Yes Amber, why couldn't you keep your trap shut?

I groan dropping back on the bed, not even bothering to argue. I think I have done enough of that to serve me a lifetime.

"I need to change my new year's resolution list," I say under my breath. "This isn't working out."

Yep, starting with killing Ramona. She and her stupid resolutions. Such a great way to start off the year indeed.

1999beauty
All rights reserved.