17. She's Just Sleeping

*Karlie's POV*

I let myself into Taylor's Tribeca home with the spare keys she gave me, and I am instantly greeted by the sound of Ellie's screams coming from upstairs.

Oh shit.

I run up the stairs three steps at a time, and burst into Taylor's bedroom. She's laying on the carpet, and Ellie is next to her, trying to wake her up.

"Mommy!", she screams. "Wake up Mommy! Don't leave me alone Momma. WAKE UP!!"

"Ellie, it's okay baby. I need you to breathe for me, okay?", I go over and pick Ellie up, and she collapses into my arms.

"Aunt Karl-lie, m-my M-Momma's d-dead", she sobs into my chest.

I put Ellie on my hip and check Taylor's pulse. She's alive. She's fine. She's breathing.

"No baby, she's just sleeping", I coo into Ellie's ear, and grab my phone to call 911.

Before I get the chance, Ellie lets out a piercing scream. All of a sudden Taylor starts to stir, and then opens her eyes.

"Ellie? Where are you sweetheart?", Taylor asks weakly, trying to sit up.

"Taylor? It's me, Karlie. You've lost a lot of blood and you fainted honey. We need to get you to a hospital", I say, kneeling next to her, with Ellie still in my arms.

Taylor starts to cry.
"I think I'm pregnant", she sobs.

"Taylor, let's not panic, okay? I'm going to help you change your pants, and then I'm going to drive you to the hospital. Everything will be okay", I say, as calmly as possible. She's my best friend, and it just sucks to see her like this.

I send Ellie downstairs to play with the cats, and then I bring Taylor to the bathroom. The bleeding has stopped, which is a good sign. I help her change, as she continues to sob, and then I help her down the stairs.

I pick Ellie up, and help her put on a sweatshirt, and then the three of us leave through the back entrance, and get into my car.

Taylor and Ellie both sit in the back. Both of them are crying, and Taylor is holding Ellie's frail little body in her arms. Taylor's skin is pale. She looks exhausted. She's weak and vulnerable.
I should've just called the ambulance.
She doesn't say one more word for the whole car ride.

*Taylor's POV*

As Karlie runs a red light and manoeuvres her way through the New York traffic, I don't say a word.

I look down at my daughter, who is now sleeping in my arms.

Was I really pregnant?

If I actually was, does this mean that my baby was dead? That Adam's baby is dead?

We pull up outside the hospital, and suddenly there is a nurse opening the car door. Karlie's standing behind her, with a worried expression on her face.

Everything's a blur.

I can't even hear what they're saying anymore.

They pull me into a wheelchair, but I don't even notice.

They change me into a hospital gown, but I don't even care.

Everything around me is in black and white.

I'm empty.

I feel alone in a room full of people.

My baby is dead.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I'm so bad at writing.