3. Give It a Try

I opened my eyes and turned to look at the clock and saw that it was 8:15 AM. I sighed. Might as well just wake up now or else the next time I open my eyes, it'll be noon and I will feel like crap knowing half the day is gone and all I've done is sleep.

The house was quiet. My mom was already at work. At first, I enjoyed having the whole house to myself but now I'm starting to not like it anymore. I felt stuck and purposeless. Dare I say it—I miss going to school and seeing my friends. I miss having a purpose. I quickly got out of bed and got ready.

I quickly ate breakfast, put on something nice, and headed out the door to visit my grandma. Grandma Rose is staying at a hospital not too far from where we live. She is a twenty minute drive away which is very convenient for us. Since it was Sunday and relatively early in the day, parking was not a problem at all. I quickly checked in at the front desk when there is really no need to. My mom and I are frequent visitors to the point all the hospital staff know who we are.

Grandma's room was dark and I was slightly disappointed. I hope she isn't sleeping. I knocked on her door lightly but didn't hear a response. I decided to enter anyway. Grandma was sleeping peacefully in her bed and I could see that her breakfast was already on the table. I walked across the room and slowly opened the blinds to allow light to flood the room. I then sat on the couch and took out some MCAT study questions to pass the time while I waited for grandma to wake up.

"Are you my nurse?" I heard grandma ask. I looked at my grandma, hurt. I've been mistaken as the nurse several times but the pain never gets easier.

"No Grandma Rose, I'm your granddaughter!" I said childishly, smiling. I hope she couldn't tell that smile was forced. I've been visiting grandma a lot these past few days and she knew who I was at the time. The fact that she thought I was the nurse today worried me. "I'm going to make a quick phone call. I'll be back soon, I promise," I lied. I silently slipped out of the room and walked towards the nurses' station.

"Hi Amanda, grandma doesn't remember who I am today. Should I be worried?" I asked.

"The confusion started last night. I'd give it some time and see how long it lasts," Nurse Amanda responded.

"Alright, thanks," I replied. I walked back to my grandma's room and she was staring blankly at the wall in front of her.

"Grandma, I brought you some breakfast," I stated, removing food from my bag. "I got you an omelette. Your favorite! And way better than the hospital food here." I pushed the hospital food aside and opened the container. Grandma slowly grabbed a spoon and started eating the omelette. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least one thing is still the same. She still loves omelettes.

"Grandma, do you know who I am?" I asked.

"My nurse?" she answered, confused. I frowned.

"No, I'm your granddaughter Jess. Do you remember me now?" I asked, trying my best not to sound hurt. Grandma shook her head. I decided to not push it further. Perhaps she'll remember me tomorrow.

After spending two hours trying to strike a conversation with grandma, it was time to go home. On my way out, I spotted Nurse Amanda restocking supplies.

"Can I ask you something? When was the last time my grandma had an MRI?" I asked.

"Two days ago," she answered.

"Do you think it's possible for her to have another MRI to see if she's having a stroke again? She was doing good the past few days and now she doesn't remember me."

"Her most recent MRI showed no signs of a stroke. I doubt there will be any changes between now and two days ago. My recommendation is to keep an eye on her. If this confusion continues for a couple days, we can schedule another MRI."