41. A Warning

I was at the nursing home trying my best to not fall asleep. Studying is not a good idea when you're sleepy. I stared at the same question, rereading it over and over again but it still didn't make sense. The words began to blur together. I could feel my eyes slowly close.

I didn't sleep well last night. I kept tossing and turning, wondering how the encounter with Adam went. I kept telling myself everything was fine but then my mind would slip and assume the worst and it kept me up.

"You're doing great. Let's do five more and then we'll move onto the next exercise," the physical therapist explained.

His words jolted me awake. I almost dropped my textbook. Studying was a lost cause so I closed my textbook and put it in my bag. I stared at the clock. It was only 11 AM. I felt bad for wanting to leave already but I just wanted to go home and take a nap. I stood up and walked up to grandma and the physical therapist.

"I'm really sorry but I'm going to head home early today. I'm so tired," I said. The physical therapist nodded and grandma looked at me in wonder.

"See you tomorrow Jess," grandma said, waving goodbye. I waved back.

"Yes, see you tomorrow."

I grabbed my bag and walked out. I went straight to my car and started the engine and drove home. As soon as I got home, I took my coat off, set my alarm, and crashed in my bed. Lucky for me, sleep came easy this time. My mind was too exhausted to think.

-

I could hear my alarm going off. My arm blindly reached for my phone. It took a few tries before I finally found it. I looked at the time and groaned, not wanting to get up. I was so comfortable. But the thought of seeing Amy and Van excited me so I got up. I went to the bathroom to wash my face. I was so tired I actually drooled this time, how embarrassing.

I quickly whipped up something to eat, grabbed my bag, and made my way over to the Fuller's house. I unlocked the door and stepped into an empty house to my disappointment. I set my bag on the couch and took off my coat, trying to listen for any signs of movement but not hearing anything. I walked to the kitchen and began washing the dishes, humming a tune to myself to help pass the time. Once I was done, I could hear the door open and Ryan walked in.

"They're still not here?" he asked, looking around.

"Nope," I replied. "Have you heard from them?"

"No, have you?"

"No."

As if on cue, we could hear movement upstairs. Both Ryan and I looked up to see who it was. Amy appeared but Van was nowhere to be found.

"Hi Ryan, hi Jess," Amy greeted us. There was something different with her tone. She didn't sound as happy as she usually was. Something was wrong. Both Ryan and I exchanged worried looks.

"Is everything alright?" Ryan asked tentatively. Amy shook her head.

"Long story short—Adam knows about the mirror but doesn't know where it is," she said flatly. I looked at her, my eyes wide.

"How did he find out?" I questioned.

"He did some research at the library and read books about death," she answered. "I asked if he knew where the mirror was and he told me he knows there's one in Oregon but he doesn't know where exactly. But he has a clue." Amy looked me right in the eyes as she spoke which made my hair stand up on end. "He has noticed that you keep running away and he said that people run away if they have something to hide. He has a suspicion you're not really dead, and in order to find the mirror, he has to find you."