29. Scared and Alone

*Amy's POV*

After five minutes of waiting, Adam finally stepped out with a thin jacket. You can tell it's not doing much to keep him warm as his hands are shoved deep into his pockets and he's shivering.

"Are you cold?" I asked.

"Yeah but I haven't got anything warmer," Adam replied.

"Have you gone shopping for clothes yet?"

Adam looked at me with wide eyes. "You can do that here?"

"Yeah, of course! You didn't know that?"

"No. Where do you get the money for it?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"From the government. Have you been checking your mail?"

"I haven't, no."

"So how did you send me that letter?" I questioned.

"I walked to your house and put it in your mailbox. Do you mind if we check the mail?"

I shook my head and we headed towards the mailbox. He opened it and there was a stack of envelopes. He looked through them one by one, getting surprised each time.

"Let's bring those checks to the bank to cash them out," I said. "We get checks weekly for food and other necessities."

"How did I get this money? Do I need to work for it?" Adam asked.

"No but you are welcome to if you want. Most people work or volunteer to help pass the time."

"Do you work?"

"Hell no! And by the way, I'm underage. I'd be child labor."

Adam laughed nervously. "Right...."

I directed him towards the bank. It was a good twenty minute walk from his house and I was starting to get tired from all the walking I've done so far today. We walked in and waited in line. When it was his turn, he started panicking but I beckoned for him to go. After fifteen minutes, he was able to cash all his checks.

"So now what?" he asked.

"We spend the money! Use it to buy food, clothes, and so on. You've lived here your whole life, right?" Adam nodded and I continued. "The location of stores and restaurants is exactly the same in this world. Most people get around by foot but there are buses and cars as well."

"This is neat," Adam commented. He was so happy to learn all these new things and it got me wondering.

"How have you been surviving this whole time without money?" I asked.

"I've been asking around and people have been nice so far, giving me money to buy things here and there."

"No one explained anything to you?"

"Nope and I didn't think to ask either because I was scared and I'm super shy so I hid in my house most of the time."

That explains why he looked unwell. He was out begging for stuff and hiding at home. I couldn't help but feel bad for him. I was judging him before I even heard his story. He was scared and alone. It made me appreciate having Van around to explain everything to me when I first got here.

"I'm so sorry you had to figure things out on your own. I know how tough it is coming here for the first time and not knowing what's happening. If you ever need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask me," I told him. "In fact, let me give you my number."

Adam patted his pockets and frowned. "I don't have a phone. How am I supposed to call you?"

"You can save up and buy a phone. But in the meantime, you can use the landline in your house. Your house does have a landline, right?" I asked hesitantly.