35. The Aftermath

I laid in bed with my eyes open. I didn't sleep very well last night. What was supposed to be a fun night ended in disaster. However, my mom and Liz had a fantastic night, so that's something, right? Luckily they didn't suspect a thing. I sat up and groaned. Adam saw me last night and Bondy knows I'm not dead. How am I going to tell the others this?

I pulled my blanket off and got up to get ready. My hair was a mess and there were bags under my eyes. I looked and felt like a zombie. I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

Once downstairs, I immediately made breakfast for grandma and I. I packed her omelette in a container, packed my books, and headed off to the nursing home.

"Good morning!" I said enthusiastically. I forced myself to smile even though I didn't feel like it. I opened the curtains to slowly let light into the room but the sunlight still burned my eyes nonetheless. I pressed the call button to have a caregiver help grandma get ready. Within minutes, the caregiver arrived and helped her get ready.

"How was Halloween yesterday?" I asked.

"It was fun! You should've seen the kids. Oh, they were so adorable! One little girl was dressed as an angel and there was a boy dressed as a lion," grandma gushed.

"Which costume was your favorite?"

"My favorite was the little boy who dressed up as a police officer. He had a fake mustache and sunglasses. It was hilarious." I tried to imagine the little boy and couldn't help but laugh. "I have something for you," grandma continued.

"Oh?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

She opened the drawer next to her and pulled out some candy. Interestingly enough, they were all Kit Kats, my favorite.

"I got you some candy. I think these are your favorite."

I grabbed the Kit Kats from her and held them close. "They are my favorite. How did you know?"

I could see grandma thinking really hard. Her eyebrows were furrowed. "I...don't know. I just had a feeling."

Growing up, Kit Kats have always been my favorite candy. I found that out at a young age. When grandma would go trick-or-treating with me, I'd give her all the candy I didn't like and I'd organize all my candy by type and count how many I had. I remember one day, grandma asked if she could have one of my Kit Kats and I told her no. When she asked why, I told her they were my favorite, and ever since, she remembered and would always bring me them as a treat when I least expected it.

"Grandma, who am I?" I suddenly asked.

"You're my friend," grandma answered, looking at me as if I was crazy.

"I'm not your friend," I responded, correcting her for the first time in a long time.

"We're not friends?"

"No, we're more than friends. We're family," I explained, carefully studying her expression. "I'm your granddaughter." I waited and let that information sink in.

"You are?"

"Yes, but it's okay if you don't remember."

I had to admit I was bummed she didn't remember but at least she remembered that Kit Kats were my favorite. That was something.

"Grandma, you have something to write in your notebook," I said. "Your friend's favorite candy are Kit Kats." I opened a Kit Kat and began eating it.

-

After visiting grandma, I went home. As I drove past the houses, I could still see people's Halloween decorations up. It won't be long before they're taken down. It was now November. Another month down and another month closer to my MCAT. I can't believe I've been watching Ryan for two months. Time flies by fast, doesn't it?