26. Looking for Answers

*Amy's POV*

It was 1 AM and I couldn't sleep. I was worried. I turned to my side and sighed, staring into the darkness. The house was quiet except for the faint sound of an acoustic guitar and Van's singing.

He always asks if I can hear him at night and I always lie to him and say no. I honestly don't mind. His voice lulls me to sleep but I'll never tell him that. If I do, he'll hold it against me. I slowed my breathing and strained to hear the lyrics he was singing. I didn't recognize the song; it must be new.

I've found that we end up laughing
So it's sound
And eventually
I know that if paths keep crossing
And your life keeps lapping over me

Van struggles to sleep at night. I asked him about it once and he told me he can't sleep because he's always thinking and it keeps him up at night. But he doesn't mind. It's quiet and no one's awake to bother him. My eyelids were getting heavy. I closed my eyes and drifted off.

.

.

The sun was shining through my curtains. I sat up and yawned, stretching my arms above my head. I pulled the covers off me and got out of bed. I walked past Van's bedroom, and as always, he wasn't there. I couldn't help but notice the plant Jess gave him in the corner of his room. It's only been a day but it's still alive. I guess you can bring plants over from the other side and they do just fine.

I got ready and walked downstairs into the kitchen. The house was still quiet which meant Van wasn't home. I saw a note on the kitchen table and read it.

Amy,

I didn't want to wake you but I'm with the band at Bondy's. I'll ask around about Adam and will let you know what I find.

Van x

Wow, that was fast. I realized I had to hurry and do my part to find Adam. I quickly ate breakfast, changed my clothes, and headed out the door.

It was a sunny and cool day. Fall was in full swing and I loved it. I made my way out of the neighborhood and tried to think of where I could find Adam. My first thought was to go to the place where I had first seen him. It took ten minutes to reach that spot but he was nowhere to be found. I then decided to check the park since it was nearby.

The park was surprisingly busy at this time of day. The elderly were speed walking on the trail and there were people on the benches taking in the nice weather and the fall foliage. I walked along the pathway, keeping an eye out for Adam. So far I didn't see him.

I didn't put much effort into looking for him but I was beginning to realize how futile my efforts were. He could be anywhere. I was starting to think that writing to him would be easier but I wanted to talk to him face to face. I realized I could go to his house but didn't want to do that alone. I'd rather meet him at a public place. Not that I'm scared he could hurt me but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with others around.

"Hi Amy. Nice seeing you around," I heard someone say. I turned to see Natalie who came up behind me. She was wearing a thick button up coat and a beanie. She was absolutely stunning even though her blonde hair was all over the place.

"Hi Natalie, how are you doing?" I asked.

I didn't really want to talk since I was on a mission but I figured it wouldn't hurt. It's possible she might know Adam and it also buys some time for Adam to show up at the park.

"I'm good, what about you?" she asked back. "I feel like I don't see you and Van as much anymore. What happened?" She let out a light laugh. Her question was completely harmless but it made me wonder if anyone else noticed we're not around as much anymore. To be honest, we spend a lot of time on the other side.