12. Sometimes It's Best Not to Know

I let myself into the Fuller's house and was disappointed that I didn't see Amy and Van. But then I remembered that Amber was coming over. I put my bag on the couch and started washing the dishes.

My mind went back to the conversation Van and I had yesterday. All he wanted was to tell his dad that he was sorry and I wanted to help him with that. I wasn't sure how, though, since his dad was all the way in Wales. I went through all the possible scenarios in my head. I could call his dad and tell him. I reckon that old lady has his contact information. But how strange would it be to tell his dad that? He'll probably think I'm crazy. I shook my head. That's a no.

I then wondered if Van would be open to the idea of telling his parents about the mirror. I know it was controversial having me know about the mirror so maybe that's not a good idea. If Ryan and Amy didn't want to tell their own mom about the mirror, what makes me think Van would want to tell his parents?

A few minutes later, Ryan came home but he didn't enter as he usually did. He stuck his head through the door.

"Jess! Are they here?" he hissed through the door.

"No," I answered.

Ryan sighed in relief and opened the door all the way. Amber walked in after him, confused about our exchange.

"Hi Amber," I said, waving. Amber waved back.

"We're going upstairs to practice presenting," Ryan said, heading upstairs. Amber went to follow him.

I finished washing the dishes and went to sit on the couch. I took out my chemistry textbook and started refreshing myself on organic chemistry which was my least favorite type of chemistry. I went through fifteen practice problems before I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"We're done," Ryan called out. "I think we're good for tomorrow's presentation." Ryan walked Amber to the front door and she left.

"Do you have a lot of homework today?" I asked.

"Yeah. I have math homework, an essay to write, and a quiz to study for," Ryan replied. "Do you want to head over to the other side to see Amy and Van? I'd rather have you head over there than have them come here. I don't want them bothering me today."

"You want me to go over there by myself?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah," Ryan replied, confused. "I mean...why not? I would invite them over but I don't want any distractions when doing my homework. I think it's best if you head over there if you want to see them. I reckon I'll be done with my homework around 5 PM which doesn't give us much time if you go with me."

"Okay. Yeah, I'll go."

"Great! Tell them not to bother me today," Ryan replied. "They'll understand."

I nodded and headed upstairs. I should really study some more but I couldn't resist not going. Ryan pulled the bed sheet off the mirror and beckoned for me to go through it. I stood in front of the mirror and paused. I still really disliked going through the mirror.

"Any day now. I haven't got all day," Ryan complained, basically pushing me through the mirror.

I stumbled through the mirror and the smell of smoke hit my nose again. I looked around. The room was empty. I opened the door and walked down the hallway, poking my nose through each room. All the rooms were empty. They must be downstairs.

I walked towards the railing and looked below. No one was on the couch downstairs.

"Hello?" I called out. "It's me, Jess."

"I'm in the kitchen," I heard Amy call out. I walked downstairs and met her in the kitchen.

"Where's Van?" I asked.