4. The First Day

I woke up and did my usual morning routine. I visited grandma in the hospital. She still mistook me for a nurse. I kept reminding her that I was her granddaughter but to no avail. The highlight of my visit was that she still ate her omelette. I hope when mom visits her after work that she will have better luck.

Before I knew it, it was almost 2 PM. I prepared my bag, filling it with my physics textbook, a practice exam, and some snacks. I walked the short distance to Liz's house and let myself in with the key Liz gave me. Ryan wasn't home from school yet. He gets out at 2 PM but has to walk home from school.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, searching for an after-school snack to give him. I saw some baby carrots and celery that he could eat with ranch and busied myself in the kitchen. I heard the front door open.

"Hey!" I said, greeting him. He looked at me for a second and then turned away to take off his shoes and backpack. I could tell by his attitude that he was still not thrilled to have me watch him. He walked into the kitchen, opened his lunchbox, and dumped his empty food containers in the sink. "I made an after-school snack for you," I said, pushing the plate of vegetables towards him. He looked at the plate and then at me.

"I'm not five years old," he replied dully. "I can make my own snacks."

"That's okay, I'm still learning," I said aloud, more to myself than to him. He took the plate from me and began eating the vegetables. "How was school today?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

"What are you, my mom?" he snapped. I was confused by his behavior. Why is he acting like this?

"Look, I'm trying, okay? I don't know what your normal routine is. My job is to make sure you eat and do your homework."

"I already know how to take care of myself. I will eat when I'm hungry and I always do my homework when I come home."

"Okay...well, if you need help with your homework, let me know. I can help. And...uh...let me know where you go when you leave." His eyes narrowed. He knew what I was getting at, but the last thing I want to tell Liz is that I lost her son.

"I'm going upstairs to do my homework." Ryan put the empty dish in the sink, grabbed his backpack, and trudged up the stairs.

I breathed a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to talk to him for a few hours and began washing the dishes.

I turned on the TV and watched the local news. Once I had enough news, I began reading my physics textbook to brush up on thermodynamics. My phone buzzed and I looked to see who texted me.

Mom: *How's babysitting so far?*

I frowned.

Jess: *Not too well. Ryan still doesn't like me.*

Mom: *Just give it some time. It's your first day. BTW I'll be home around 6 PM today. Going to visit mom. I'll let you know when dinner's ready so you can bring Ryan over.*

Jess: *Sounds good. Grandma was still confused when I went. Hopefully you'll have better luck.*

Mom: *I hope so too. See you soon. x*

I put my phone away and looked at the time. It was almost 5:30 PM. I hadn't checked on Ryan for a few hours so I thought I'd go upstairs to check on him. I walked up the stairs being sure to stomp so that he could hear that I was coming. His door was closed so I knocked lightly. There was no answer.

"Ryan? Can I come in?" I asked. Still no answer. "Okay, I'm opening the door in three...two...one!" I opened the door to find his room empty. Christ, where does he keep disappearing off to? I walked towards his desk and saw his homework on the table. I quickly flipped through his homework seeing that it was complete. I started walking to the other rooms upstairs. "Ryan? Where are you?" Still no response. "RYAN!!" I shouted. Still no answer.