11. Taking a Break

Grandma will be discharged from the hospital on Thursday. Her MRI showed no changes from last week which is good news. The nursing home is getting ready for her arrival.

Having grandma transition from the hospital to the nursing home always makes me uneasy. Although the hospital is very expensive, it's nice that if something were to happen to grandma, everything we need will be there. The nursing home is cheaper but still expensive at the same time. The level of care is not as good as the hospital and that's what makes me worried.

The day grandma had her stroke, we were lucky a nurse was on her way to give grandma her medicine. If she hadn't been there at the right place and at the right time, she would've been dead.

I watched grandma eat her breakfast.

"You have physical therapy at 10:30 AM today," I told grandma, looking at the schedule the nurse put up.

"Oh," grandma replied, not paying any attention to me. She was too busy eating.

"Are you excited to go back to the nursing home?" I asked, trying to pump her up.

"Yes, of course."

I sat with grandma for a few more hours before heading home. As soon as I got home, I decided to go out for a walk. I didn't have a plan for where I wanted to go in particular so I let my feet lead me. After twenty minutes of walking, I found myself not too far from the cemetery that Amy was buried in. I walked towards the tree and found her grave. I saw that there were daisies on her grave. Someone had visited her recently. I knelt down to pay my respects to her.

"Would you like a flower?" I heard someone ask. I turned to see the old lady who showed me where Amy's grave was.

"Oh, it's you again," I said, smiling.

"Yes it's me. I come here everyday. You never remember to bring flowers, do you?" the lady asked, grinning. I took the flower from her. This time it was a peony.

"Thanks. I didn't expect to come here today. I was just wandering around and found myself here," I answered truthfully.

"Did you know her?"

"Who? Me? No, I never met her but I watch her older brother."

"Ah, I see. Well, I'll leave you alone then. Next time I see you, you better bring flowers!"

"I'll try to remember," I said, laughing. A thought suddenly occurred to me. "Wait! You know almost everyone in this town, right?"

"Almost everyone. Why?"

"Do you know someone named Van? He passed away at a young age while driving home late at night. A drunk driver hit his car head on."

"Are you talking about Van McCann?" the lady asked. I realized I didn't know his last name.

"I don't know his last name but maybe?"

"Follow me," the lady said, walking towards the small pond in the cemetery. She stopped at a headstone with fresh peonies and I wondered who it was that stopped by with flowers. I knelt down to read the headstone.

Ryan Evan McCann
Loved & Remembered Always
AUG. 1, 1988 - SEP. 24, 2012

The name wasn't correct but the age seemed right. I turned to look at the lady. "Are you sure this is the right grave? The name isn't right," I said.

"He goes by Van instead of Ryan. He was named after the singer Van Morrison."

"Did you know him?" I asked.

"No, but I know his parents. They are nice folks."

"They don't live here anymore. Do you know where they went?"