47. It's Over

*Amy's POV*

The tears blurred my vision and I quickly wiped them away with the sleeve of my shirt. I quietly crept downstairs towards the front door and looked through the peephole. I could see Adam, Natalie, and others I didn't recognize at the door. I heard a sharp knock at the door which made me jolt up in fear.

"I know you're home!" Adam shouted. "Let us in."

"What do you want?" I yelled through the door.

"We're looking for Jess."

"Well she's not here."

"Just let us take a look."

I could feel myself getting angry. To think that I thought Adam was a sweet guy who lost his way weeks ago. Who knew he was capable of being so evil? It's all his fault that this happened. It's his fault that we have to break the mirror. The anger made me braver and I was suddenly not scared anymore.

"I thought you were my friend. Friends don't do this to each other," I spat. "This is an invasion of privacy."

Adam was silent on the other side.

"We only want to take a look. We'll be quick," I heard Natalie speak up.

"Yeah! Open the door or we'll knock it down!" another person shouted. I didn't recognize their voice.

I debated whether or not I should let them in. I didn't want them to knock the door down but I didn't know if Van broke the mirror yet. Did they have enough time to say goodbye? I quickly ran towards the stairs.

"Van!" I shouted. "Should I let them in or have them kick the door down?"

His voice was faint but I could hear him. "Just give me another minute and you can let them in." He sounded dejected.

"Alright, I'm opening the door at one minute unless you tell me otherwise." I glanced at my watch and counted down the seconds. I could hear banging on the front door again.

"Let us in!" someone shouted. I could hear an angry murmur of voices behind the door. I didn't want to think about how angry they were. I walked up to the door.

"I will open the door soon. Promise me you won't trash our house," I begged. I waited for a reply.

"If you let us in we'll try our best not to trash it. We'll look through it and will create a bit of a mess but we won't destroy it," Adam assured me. One minute was up. I ran towards the stairs again.

"I'm letting them in. I hope that's alright, Van!" I shouted.

"Yeah, it's fine."

I took a deep breath and undid the chain and all the locks on the front door. I opened the door slowly, afraid they'd come barging in all at once but they were surprisingly calm. There was a group of eight people. I noticed Bondy in the back who looked at me apologetically. I looked at him hoping he knew that I knew he was a spy and wouldn't do such a thing to us. I opened the door wider to let them in.

The people spilled into the house to look for Jess. I recognized some people having seen them in the park or at the store, but most of them were unfamiliar to me. They broke off into several groups. Some people went into the kitchen, some people into the garage, etc. They turned over everything—they opened all the doors, they moved things out of the way—they checked all over while Adam stood next to me, silent. They were making a mess, not putting things back how they were before but I didn't want to agitate them any further. At least they weren't tearing up our house like they promised. I was tired and defeated. This was the worst day ever and I just wanted them to leave so I could curl up in my bed and cry.