Chapter 1

Cover by the amazing galgaliel

Introductions are for suckers.

It was moving day. For the first time in your life, you were going to be leaving the cold, hard city of Midgar behind. You walked through the bare, empty halls of your house into your room for one last look before saying goodbye to this place forever. Your bed was gone, the walls were stripped, the closet was empty, and everything had already been repainted white. It didn't even look like your room anymore, but this house hadn't felt like home to you in many years. The only thing left in the room was your duffle bag and an old family photo you found hidden in the back of your closet that the movers had missed.

You picked up the photo and sighed, looking down at your young, beaming face as you stood between your parents and older brother, Caius. You flipped the photo over and looked at the hand written message on the back. "≈≈≈≈≈≈'s 3rd birthday" was written in elegant cursive and signed with many x's and o's. You glared at the writing. It was his handwriting. You flipped it back over and began to carefully tear the picture so your father, Luxord Ballad, was cut out completely, leaving only your mother Leila, Caius, and you.

Your father had worked as a scientist in a special covert division of the ShinRa Electric Company's Mako research division. You didn't know much about his work, other than it was illegal and nearly all of his colleagues had been arrested as he had been, though illicit work activities were the least of his crimes. He had been an alcoholic gambler with anger management issues and an abusive streak. You weren't usually his target, but you had been enough times to still feel a pit of fear and anger form in your stomach at the sight of him. Around ten years ago, pressure from work and his other bad habits finally caused him to snap. He turned on your family, and in a rage tried to murder you and your bother while your mother was out shopping. Caius helped you hide in the attic, and that was the last you ever saw of him. Then your mother came home, there was a scuffle between them, and the neighbors called the police shortly after. Your father was taken away and charged with murdering your brother—though a body was never found—and the attempted murder of yourself and your mother. It was the last night you felt like you had a real family. After that night, Caius was gone, and your father had been taken into custody. You were sure there must have been some big trial process, but your mother did her damndest to keep you out of it. That night was the last time you saw either of the male members in your family.

Despite the terrible memories this house held for you and your mother, it had been your mother's house her whole life and she couldn't bring herself to leave it until now. She worked in the Inter-Planetary Embassies as a secretary, and one day met the Ambassador of Traverse Town, a seemingly nice man named Basch Strife, and fell for him almost instantly. They had dated in person and long distance for over two years now, and he finally asked your mother to marry him. With your blessing she agreed, and now you were on your way to move in with him and his son, Cloud, to their home in Traverse Town. It was supposedly a fairly small peaceful world, and would be quite the change from life in one of the busiest cities in the charted galaxy. But maybe it was just the kind of change of pace you needed.