Chapter 8

You had just walked in the door to your room to find that there was someone asleep in your bed. You put your things from the night before on the desk and strode over to your bed curiously. Whoever it was they had the covers pulled up over their head and they were sprawled out, making a twisted mess of your blankets.

At first you were worried about who you would find, then your early morning irritation got the better of you and you just felt angry that there was something else keeping you from getting to bed now. "Hey." You called out, and got only a snore in response. You rolled your eyes, thinking it was totally just going to be one of your idiot friends under there. You grabbed the blanket and pulled it back roughly, exposing whoever as beneath it to the cold morning air, earning a groan of displeasure.

"Ven?" You were surprised to find that it was him, not Zack, Gippal, Reno, or any of your other usual suspects when something weird happened to you.

"What?" He snapped, rubbing tired eyes and reaching for the blankets again.

"Why are you in my house? Why are you in my bed?" You shot, throwing the blanket back over him.

He pulled the blanket around his head like a hood and looked around the room, "Oh yeah...I did go to sleep here, didn't I?"

"I don't know!" You realized he was probably speaking more to himself, but you were so confused to find him in your bed that you didn't care.

"Lulu asked me to watch you last night, but then you ran off. I figured if anything happened you'd come here, so I snuck into your room and...then I fell asleep. Sorry."

"No you're not." 

"No, I'm not." He shrugged.

"Well, are you going to leave?"

 "Depends, how are you doing?"

You crossed your arms and sighed, "Hanging in there, could be better. Are you going to tell me what's going on yet?"

"Later. You look like you need sleep more than answers right now." He said, holding out a hand for you to take so he could do a med-check on you.

"You should see yourself." You shot back, seeing that he was still trying to blink the sleep out of his eyes as he looked at you.

"Just gimme your damn hand." He glared at you. You tried to take your time so as not to look desperate to have him heal you despite yourself. You wanted his help not his attitude, after all. He touched your fingers and instantly shot you a look, "Do you not feel pain like the rest of us? How are you vertical right now?"

"Oh, believe me. I feel it." You said, taking a seat on the bed beside him. It was almost hard to describe how you felt inside. Electric currents were reverberating through you with every heartbeat, every so often—and with increasing frequency—turning sharp and more painful than you could try to cover up anymore.

"Why didn't you come home?" He asked, looking at you like you were an idiot.

"I just had to get through one night." You shrugged, leaning over so you could rest against his shoulder as he continued his med-check.

"You know, getting through the night really isn't the point of nighttime. Did you even sleep at all?"

"Not really." You admitted, closing your eyes. He must have started the healing process, because you suddenly felt the lightning storm die to a dull buzz and the pain stopped.

"Well congratulations, you tortured yourself all night for nothing." He sighed, giving your hand a squeeze before letting it rest between his warm hands on his knee. "Wish I had that kind of grit." He mumbled.