Meet the family

"Haley your dad's here. Bring your stuff down with you" my mom yelled to me up the staircase.

"OK mom I'll be right there" I shouted back rolling my eyes. My dad probably wont be paying me much attention because he has his lecture tomorrow you see my parents are, they are the survivors of the dinosaur attack on Isla Nublar. My dad is one of the top palaeontologists and my mom was a gradate student in paleobotany.

I grabbed my overnight bag from my bed and walked down the stairs to meet my mom at the bottom with my youngest half brother Tyler in her arms.

"Hey baby he's outside playing with Charlie, though you might want to leave your stuff in the lounge because he's staying for dinner" she said giving me a kiss on the head as we began to walk outside. The sun was shining and it was a nice day, I was on spring break from school and I was hoping to go to the beach with some friends but mom said I had to spend time with dad the only thing is dad never lets me go anywhere because he's always busy with seminars and take me with him.

I looked out into the garden and I could see Charlie playing with his dinosaurs I got him for his birthday and my dad was squatting beside him showing him all the different dinosaurs, Dad was really good with Charlie considering he was the child of his ex girlfriend whom he'd already had a child with.

"Actually Charlie those are herbivores. They wouldn't be interested in fighting each other. But these are carnivores, and they really like fighting each other. They use their teeth and their claws to rip each others throats out" I smirked, my dad could be so awkward sometimes but my dad doesn't really get some of the social norms in life, he was sheltered as a kid and now he's just strange as an adult.

"Alan, he's three. Let's wait til he's five" mom said laughing walking up behind me with Tyler still on her hip, drooling into her shoulder. I looked at him and smiled I took the drool cloth from mom's back pocket and put it under Tyler's head, I really did love being a big sister. I turned back to my dad and smiled "Yeah dad isn't it enough that you already corrupted me?" I told him shaking my head. I love dinosaurs and my dad teaches me different things about them whenever i'm with him. I'm not sure if I want to have a career in paleontology or not yet but I think my dad is hoping I do and my mom just hopes I'll never come as close to real dinosaurs again.

Dad chucked "right. Sorry Charlie." Who just gave him a look making us all laugh at him, I bent down and started playing dinosaurs with him when Tracy, the nanny came out with the phone and said something to mom about a her editor wanting to talk to her.

"Tell him I won't lose the Horner quote." Mom shouted to Tracy, mom turned to dad and told him chuckling "my editor thinks he's a palaeontologist" Her editor is an ass hole he comes over all the time and tries to get mom to change things about her book, like he actually knows anything about dinosaurs or anything in that field. I think he doesn't believe some of the stuff she wrote but I'd like to see him running through an island full of dinosaurs in his prada suit and survive like mom and dad did.

"Hey mark!" I turned to see my step-dad mark pull up in the drive way, I saw him wave to us through the window and we all waved back. Charlie looked up to see his daddy and started giggling. "Nice to see you again Alan." He said greeting my dad with a manly handshake, he turned to me smiling "Are you staying at yours dad's tonight hayls?" mark said kissing my forehead, I like mark he was like the best step dad ever he was never mean or pushy.

"Yeah he's taking me to the archaeological dig site where the dinosaur remains are" I said excitingly looking at my dad whose looking very proud of my enthusiasm. Dad had told me about the archaeological dig months ago but I had never been able to actually go but now I had the chance and I was really excited to see actual dinosaur remains.

"Oh well I hope you have fun kid" I smiled my mom definitely picked a winner here he never minded about the dinosaur stuff, he didn't understand most of it but he didn't mind everyone talking about it. Mark turned to Dad "Are you staying for dinner Alan?" mark questioned. "Yeah he is babe". Mom said handing him Tyler who he bopped up and down. I scrunched up my nose "Eww mom do you have to call him babe in front of me? Eurghhh" I may be smart but I was still a teenage and seeing your parent being cute with their other half is still disgusting, I giggled sticking out my tongue whilst the adults just laughed.

Charlie came running to us and grabbed mark's "daddy, this is a herbivore and that's the dinosaur man" Charlie told him pointing to his dinosaurs and then my dad "Dinosaur man" we all started laughing at Charlie who had no idea why we were laughing.

We had just finished dinner when my mom asked if I would watch Charlie when the 'adults' talked. "Aww come on mom I'm old enough to be in on the 'adult' conversation now. I'm 14 you know!" I told her putting my hands on my hips, Mom started laughing and walked over to me with Charlie "Yes sweetheart I know you're 14 I was there you know, now please take Charlie" she asked me nicely handing me my little brother. I sighed heavily "Sure. Come on Charlie, I'll put your Barney DVD on." I said carrying him into the lounge.

I put the disk into the DVD player and sat Charlie down in front of the TV where he started singing and jumping up and down I could hear Tyler crying from upstairs and saw Mark going to comfort him. I waited for him to get up the stairs and then I tiptoed out of the room and stood by the wall of the kitchen to hear what my parents were talking about. With two scientists as parents I couldn't help but be a little curious at what they were saying. It had to be interesting if I wasn't allowed to hear it.

I listened to them talk about the raptors we saw on Isla Nublar and the noises they made. They also talked about the raptors being able to communicate and how they work in teams. I don't remember much of being on the island seeing as I was only 7 but I do remember the noises they made, I had nightmares for months after. I had seen people get eaten by genetically modified animals and lived but I would never be able to get the noises out of my head.

I was so focussed in what they were saying and thinking about the screams the raptors made I didn't hear Charlie walk up to me "Haley i'm tired" I jumped so quickly I banged my elbow on the wall "Crap" I rubbed my elbow as I looked at Charlie who was fighting to keep his eyes open. "Haley?" mom's worried voice asked from the kitchen. "Yeah I'm just putting Charlie to bed he's falling asleep" I answered picking my little brother up and took him into the kitchen so mom could kiss him goodnight. "Come back after you put him to be as your dad's leaving soon" I nodded at carried Charlie upstairs, by the time I had walked up the stairs Charlie was asleep I gently lay him down in his cot and looked at him I stroked his blonde hair "sweets dreams little bro" I put on his dinosaur night light and quietly left the room closing the door behind me and saw mark doing the same to Tyler's.

"You leaving now kid?" he asked quietly so we didn't wake the babies, I nodded "Yeah dad's got one of those lectures in the morning" I replied just as quiet, walked over to me "OK well be good and I will see you when you get back" he told me kissing the top of my head. "Will do pops" I said smirking at him, he just smiled back.

We walked back downstairs where I could see my parents still talking; I grabbed my bag from the couch. "Kay dad lets blow this Popsicle stand" Dad looked at me weirdly probably wondering why I was talking weird. Mom came over and handed me my hoodie "I'll see you in a couple of days sweetheart have fun with your dad" mom said kissing my cheek I pulled a face making her smile but I turned to hug her anyway.

Mom walked us out to the car where I got into the passenger car seat and started playing with the car radio whilst they talked. Dad's car wasn't the best so I couldn't get a good channel, I could see my parents talking and rolled my eyes they always got like this when they were together even at my age I could tell they still loved each other just not in a relationship kind of way. I saw my dad kiss my mom on the cheek and then got into the car. Dad started the car and reversed out of the driveway, I waved goodbye to mom and we were off to dad's house for 3 days. I hope this seminar is good other wise its 3 boring hours of doing nothing at all.