Double Eww

Standing in front of the metal catwalk we started to make our way over until it creaks and groans, moving lightly. We all freezes mid-stride "We'd better do this one at a time" he said looked at behind him before looking down at me "Come across with Eric It''ll take both of your weight".

Nodding I watched as my dad disappeared into the thick fog I listened to the creaking of the catwalk until it stops into silence "Dad?" nothing, my breath hitches "Dr Grant?" Amanda calls louder than I had.

"Okay, come on over! One at a time!" Dad's voice called making me sigh in relief, he was ok. Amanda turned to Eric and rubbed his shoulder "All right, Eric. I'm going to leave you just for a minute and then you'll be right behind me, okay?" I giggled at her with a big smile but Eric looked mortified.

"Mom! I've been alone in a water truck for eight weeks. I think I can manage the next two minutes without you" Eric said as his face flushed. Amanda smiled at us as she stood tall "Right, we're all together now" Amanda slowly walked over the catwalk until she too disappeared.

"Okay, Eric, Haley" I looked at Eric nervous but smiled when he held out his hand, smiling I took his hand as we started to walk together. It was hard to see or hear anything when we were this far over but a shape was making it's way to us "Mom?" Eric called.

I screamed when a big Pteranodon made it's way out of the fog and over to us, Eric shouted and grabbed me tighter "Dad!" pulling me back towards Paul I looked back to see the Pteranodon flying towards us.

Hearing the adults screaming and running I pushed Eric down just at the Pteranodon grabbed my shirt "Dad!" I screamed as the Pteranodon stuck it's sharp claws in my shoulders and flew away, I looked down to see them all running trying to keep up.

"Help me!" I screamed wincing when the Pteranodon gripped me tighter, grunting I shook my weight trying to get the Pteranodon to release me. I screamed when it suddenly dropped me in a nest full of baby Pteranodon's who started biting at my clothes and skin.

Kicking and pushing I fought trying to keep the babies away from me, getting up I jumped to different platforms trying to get away from the bird like dinosaurs. Screaming I fell and the babies took the opportunity to jump on me and start pecking again eventually ripping off my hoodie.

Looking up I saw a parachute "Billy!" I screamed as he steered his way to me knocking the baby dinosaurs of me I stood "Haley hold on!" I quickly jump to another platform before the babies followed me "Jump!" jumping on to Billy and wrapping myself around him holding as tight as I could "Thank you" I shouted to him as he steered us away.

Holding myself on to Billy I looked behind us to see a pack of Pteranodon's heading our way "Billy!" I cried as one soared forward and ripped the parachute "Let go Haley" looking down at the water I let go off Billy and fell into the water below.

Dragging myself out of the water I watched in horror as Billy got stuck on a rock "Haley!" I looked over to see everyone running towards me "Look!" I shouted out pointing to Billy who was now trying to keep the Pteranodon's away from him "Dad he's across the river" I shouted as Dad and Paul turned to see Billy struggling.

"Get them out of here!" Paul shouted at Amanda who started to usher us away "No!" I screamed as she tried pulling me away "Go now!" she shouted to us as she pushed us "What about Billy?" Eric screamed to Amanda as we watched Billy being circled.

Crying I ran away with Amanda and Eric, getting the back of the cage we struggled with the latch to get the door open, hearing Billy's shouts I turned "Haley!" Amanda screamed when the door finally opened.

Pulling my arm we ran shutting the door behind us just as Dad and Paul dived under the water with a Pteranodon hitting the fence behind them, the fence shook as the Pteranodon pulled at it screaming in rage.

Letting Eric pull me on to the boat we sat at the front whilst the adults steered it away from the Pteranodon's cage, crying I watched as we drifted further away from Billy. Eric put his arm around me letting my head fall to his shoulder as I sobbed.

---

Sometime later Paul had managed to get the boat running and was now steering it from the little cabin, I stood by my dad at the back of the boat but we hadn't spoken "Dr Grant?" I turned to see Eric looking at us apprehensively "Hey Eric, How are you doing?" Eric walked forward and stood by us "I'm sorry about Billy"

Sitting down Dad and Eric followed "You know what the last thing I said to him was? I said 'You're as bad as the people that built this place.' Which wasn't true. Billy was just young. That's all" I frowned Dad really liked Billy he told me that Billy was a hard worker and he knew he'd make a difference in the Palaeontology world.

"I have a theory that there are two kinds of boys. There are those who want to be astronomers and those who want to be astronauts" Me and Eric looked at my dad we both hung on his every word "The astronomer, or the palaeontologist gets to study these amazing things from a place of complete safety" Dad said with a frown.

"But then you never get to go into space" Eric said to dad who smiled and pointed to him happily "Exactly. It's the difference between imagining and seeing. To be able to touch them and that's all Billy wanted."

I sighed and rubbed my arms sadly "I'm sorry" I cried "I shouldn't have shouted at him, I knew he never meant to get me hurt" I told dad with sorrow, Dad pulled me into his arms "You have nothing to be sorry for" he whispered leaning his chin on my head.

Feeling the sunset on my back I smiled "Haley, Dr Grant" Eric called looking at something over my shoulder, turning I gasped happily as I saw an incredible valley filled with dinosaurs. We could see armoured Ankylosaurs with clubbed tails, Duck-billed Corythosaurs, We floated by the gigantic, arching necks of Brachiosaurs's.

"You know something, Dr. Grant? Billy was right" I smiled at Eric as the sun shone on our face and it was the happiest and calmest moment we've had on the island.

-

The sun had officially set and we we're plunged into darkness, the light from the boat is the only light source we have right now. Sitting in the cage with Eric I had my head on his shoulder and his head on top of mine, we both had our eyes closed resting for the few moment peace we had.

Feeling the boat stop I opened my eyes and looked up making Eric snap his head up in shock "Sorry" I told him and he looked at me with tired eyes "Listen" Paul called out, we all quieted down and I looked up shocked when I heard his satellite phone jingle.

"Find it before it stops!" Dad shouts jumping off the boat with Paul "You two stay here" Amanda calls before getting off the boat too. Me and Eric watched as the adults rummaged in huge piles of dinosaur poop trying to find Paul's phone "Eww" I whispered.

"I got it." Amanda calls bring the phone out the dung mound Hello? Hello?" Dad says bringing the dung covered phone to his ear, Eric breaths deep and nudge me I looked up and gasped seeing a Carnotaur walk up to them "Look out" Eric screams to them as they look up in shock.

The Carnotaur sniffs at them before whining and walking away obviously not wanted to eat something that smells so bad as Spinosaurus poop "double eww..."