The Kirby's Are Weird..

We had stayed at the dig site when Mr Kirby left, Billy showed me a lot of stuff and taught me how to dig for dinosaurs bones something I wish my dad was doing but he had been on edge ever since Mr Kirby came around, looking over my shoulder I could see dad looking more uncomfortable he looked at his watch he let out a rough but tired sigh "Well I guess it's time for us to meet the Kirby's".

  I stood up and dusted off my clothes and got into dad's car, I saw dad and Billy talking through the windows and waited I couldn't see dad's face but Billy didn't seem too happy, finally they both got into the car I raised my eyebrow at dad when Billy got into the car also dad just smiled at me and drove.

After driving for a while in silence dad spoke "We're here" he parked the car and turned to me "Be polite please Haley" I looked at him annoyed "I could say the same to you" I could hear Billy laughing but my dad didn't look too pleased. I got out of the car and looked at the name of the bar which was lit in big neon red lights "HELL CREEK BAR AND GRILL" this should be interesting.

We walked into the bar and dad noticed the Kirby's, he walked us over to their table and exchange the usual adult greetings they told me to call them Paul and Amanda "First off let me say as a dinosaur enthusiasts, Amanda and I have admired your work for years" although Paul said this but it seemed like there was something hidden but Amanda nodded in agreement "It is truly, what's the word? Inspiring".

Dad smiled gratefully "Thank you" but I could tell he was just saying it to be polite. "Amanda and I, well, we just love the outdoors. Heck we've been on pretty much any adventure tour they can come up with: Galapagos, K2, the Nile..." I was actually impressed maybe I had judged Mr & Mrs Kirby badly "We even have two seats reserved aboard the first commercial moon flight" Billy had nudged my dad but he looked really unimpressed.

"Now, for our wedding anniversary this year we wanted to do something really special, something..." He places his hand on top of Amanda's lovingly "...once-in-a-lifetime. We've arranged for a private air plane to take us flying over Isla Sorna. And we want you to be our guide" I felt my eyes grow to the size of plates and look at my dad shocked.

The Kirby's look to dad as if they've offered him the noble prize but he just sighs and smooths the tablecloth "That's a very nice offer, Mr. Kirby, but I'm afraid I'm much too busy. If you like I can refer you to a number of highly qualified..." Mr Kirby cut my dad off mid sentence "No, no, see Dr. Grant, you're the best. You've seen these animals in the flesh. No one else has come close to you.

Dad looked pleased but still shook his head "I'm flattered, but this is my time with my daughter and with the air restrictions they've imposed after the incident in San Diego, you can't fly low enough to see anything of interest" Paul looks put out but Amanda still fights on "You see, that's just the thing. Paul and I have special permission to fly low".

 Billy looked interested in this news "How low?" Paul seemed to perk up "Well, I'm no aviation specialist. But I do know it's hell of a lot lower than anyone else" Amanda seemed to be spurred on "From what I understand, it's pretty much whatever we want" Dad shook his head and laughed in disbelief "That's hard to believe"

"Let's just say that through my business imports/exports, emerging markets – I've made some friends in high places. In this case, the Costa Rican government" I was shocked that the Costa Rican government would be friends with Mr and Mrs Kirby they seemed a bit unusual "Dr. Grant, you don't know how important it is for us to have you come along. 

It would make all the difference" I could my dad's face contort to confused and looking like he was trying to find the nicest way to say no, I think the Kirby's saw this too as Paul pulls out his check book "And of course, we're prepared to make a sizeable contribution to your research here. Also Haley is more than welcome to join us on the plane so you can still spend time with her" Billy looked at my dad with a stern look, I just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders this was his decision to make.

 "I can write all kinds of numbers on this check. Just tell me what exactly it would take" I think we all held our breath until dad sighed and nodded his head. I guess we're going to see more dinosaurs, never thought that would happen again.

I could see Mrs Kirby staring at me so I smiled politely "I have a son the same age as you" she said smiling but looked a little sad "Cool, is he going to be on the trip?" I ask her interested he might be some good company if I get bored with Dad and Billy, Mrs Kirby just smiled at me sadly again "I hope so".

 I looked at her weirdly but she doesn't see to notice "You know he's yours and your fathers biggest fan" I grinned widely at her before getting confused "Mine?" Mrs Kirby nodded and took a bite of her food before wiping her mouth "He thinks the way you survived that island at such a young age is admirable" I grimaced but was flattered at the same time.

I opened my burger and reached out for a ketchup packet but Mrs Kirby had already opened it for me "I'm sorry, my son used to ask me to open his ketchup before he.." Mrs Kirby trailed off looking upset, I looked over to my dad wondering if he could see how weird she was being but he was in deep conversation with Mr Kirby and Billy. Looking back Mrs Kirby was now avoiding any contact with me I sighed and bit into my burger hoping the rest of this dinner would go by quickly.

"Thank you again for the dinner" Dad told the Kirby's as we excited the bar the adults all said their goodbyes, as they walked off I could see the Kirby's whispering furiously to each other "Haley? Are you ready?" I turned to see Dad and Billy watching me I nodded following Dad to this car but occasionally casting a look over my shoulder at the Kirby's something was not right with those two.

Dad dropped Billy off at his apartment and we drove home in silence I looked at dad out of the corner of my eye he looked tired and annoyed so I didn't want to annoy him any more than he felt. We pulled into the driveway and dad turned of the car and sighed heavily I looked at him again and put my hand on his "Don't worry dad everything will be fine, it's just a plane ride with some really weird people" dad chuckled but still looked very disturbed. I got out of the car and walked into the house and straight to bed ready for tomorrows exciting plane ride with the Kirby's yay..sarcasm included.