Chapter Two

WARNING! This story contains language and violence. Hope you enjoy it :)

Hintani shoved the last of his belongings into a bag and stood up. It's been five years since the demon Ryou murdered his father, and Hintani had finally been accepted to train to see if he could become a samurai for the Shin clan. Since the Shin clan was known as demon slayers and was respected throughout the samurai clans, Hintani was hoping to seek his revenge through them, and destroy any other demon that would put his family in harm's way. Throwing his bag over his shoulder, he made his way into the kitchen where his mother stood waiting for him. She no longer looked like the strong women she used to be. Losing their father was the hardest thing she had to accept and the worst part about it was that she still hadn't accepted it. Hintani looked down and saw his little sister grasping his mother's kimono, a frustrated look on her face. She walked out from behind their mother and ran into him, hugging his leg. She looked up at him, her bright blue eyes filling with tears.

"Big brother really has to go?" she said softly, her sweet voice echoing through the house. Hintani squatted down and smiled gently at her, wiping away the tears starting to roll down her cheek and tucked her blonde hair back behind her ear.

"Yes, big brother has to go. I'll learn the way of the sword so I can protect my little Mei."

"Come back soon, right?"

"I'll come as often as I can. Can you take care of mom for me?"

"I can for Big brother."

Hintani tightly hugged Mei, then released her and faced his mother. He embraced her and he felt her shoulders start to shake. "It'll be alright mom. You have to stay strong for Mei, no matter what happens. Setski will help with Mei and the other chores. I'll become a samurai dad would be proud of."

"I know you will," his mother said, sadly smiling at him. She cupped his cheek and kissed his forehead. "Setski is outside waiting for you. Now go." With a last look at his mother and sister, Hintani made his way outside and saw his younger brother leaning up against a tree, twirling a knife in his hand with a bitter look on his face.

"Don't look like that," Hintani said. Setski looked over at him, then walked over to him and tossed the knife casually to the ground.

"I'm happy for you bro. It's not every day someone gets accepted to train for a clan with no samurai experience or background."

"I do count myself lucky," Hintani said as he dropped his bag to the ground. "I just hope this is enough, and pray I'm doing the right thing. I'm hoping I can get past the training."

"No one has come to bother us, so you don't need to worry about us. You need to just focus on your goal," Setski said shrugging.

"I'm talking about being there for Mei."

Setski glanced over at Hintani and noticed how stressed out he looked. Sighing heavily, Setski playfully hit Hintani in the arm. "I'm still going to be here Hintani. Nothing is going to happen to Mei as long as I'm around, you can count on that." Before Hintani could respond, the sound of hooves filled the air. They both looked up and saw the Shin flags waving in the air and four horses making their ways towards them. They stopped in front of them and a man in his late twenties jumped down and walked over to Hintani, a determined expression on his face.

"Afternoon," the man said, nodding at both of them. "My name is Soushi and I'm the captain of the Shin clan. These young lads behind me are also going to be training with us. I assume it is you who is going to train with us. I welcome you on behalf of the Shin Clan."

"It is an honor sir," Hintani said as he bowed respectfully.

"How old are you?" Soushi asked.

"I'm 19, sir."