Chapter Twenty-Five

Mei listened to the crackle of the pyre flames as they consumed Taichi's body, the flames themselves extending several feet into the air. Mei and Kazuma, along with Kalik's and Takashi's help, created a funeral pyre for Taichi. Since Taichi had a connection to fire, for his demon form was the Kuatra Cat, Mei thought it best to send him to the afterlife in flames. When Taichi died, his human form deteriorated away, leaving him in his pure demon form. At least he can pass on in demon form, Mei thought bitterly as the fire danced in her eyes. Kazuma and Kalik stood on either side of her, as if they were creating a shield for her. Mei hadn't spoke a word since she saw the life leave Taichi's eyes. A death that cannot be stopped. It didn't mean Soushi's death; the riddle was about Taichi's. Mei closed her eyes tightly, fighting the tears threatening to appear again. The hairs on the back of her neck began to stand on end, and Mei opened her eyes to see two ghostly figures standing above the fire. Everything was a gray color except for the fire and the figures. Mei took a step closer, and gasped when she saw Kalas and Taichi standing above the flames. Taichi looked over at her and smiled. Kalas looked over and bowed slightly to her, his mocking attitude gone.

"Don't fret, princess. Just do what you have to do," Taichi said as he smiled kindly at her, which made it hard for Mei to swallow.

"You have to stop Soushi. He's in your hands now," Kalas said as he nodded towards her.

"Kalas, Taichi..." Mei said as the tears reformed at the bottom of her eyes. Kalas held up his hand, shaking his head as his eyes pleaded with her to stop.

"I shouldn't have gone along with Osamu's and Soushi's ideals," Kalas admitted. "I was impatient. I wanted the world back to normal, and at the moment it seemed to be the only way out. Forgive me Mei; I never truly wanted to hurt you. I did what I was ordered to do. Had I known I was going to be a pawn for Soushi, I wouldn't have lost sight of the path set for us." Taichi flickered his eyes over to Kalas before looking back over to her.

"Finish up what you need to do, and don't let anything stand in your way. When everything is settled, you'll see me again in our world. Don't give up, princess. It's up to you," Taichi said smiling. Both of them turned into little balls of light, and drifted down towards the icy crystal before vanishing within it. Mei touched her crest and felt the new life circling inside the crystal now, and she felt a new spurt of energy. Life pumped through her veins and Mei closed her eyes, feeling their presence. She opened her eyes and saw everything was back to normal. She looked at Taichi's body, which was now charred from the flames, and turned around. Kazuma and Kalik grabbed her arms instinctively and she looked up at them, narrowing her eyes.

"Don't go do something stupid," Kalik warned as he tightened his grip on her. Mei huffed as she looked away from him.

"I'm not going to," Mei replied closing her eyes.

"Mei," Kazuma said as he tightened his grip. Mei suddenly got irritated and she finally let her pent up rage out.

"I've had enough!" Mei said raising her voice as she ripped herself from their grip. "I'm tired of watching people die right in front of me when I have the power to end it all. I won't let someone else forfeit their life because of my hesitations! I'm finishing things now."

"Yep, she's not thinking straight," Takashi said walking over there with a dark expression covering his face. "Don't you think we've had enough as well? We've seen all of our comrades fall to someone we use to call captain. And you have the damn nerve to say you've had enough?" Mei looked over at Takashi, glaring at him as he anger continued to boil.

"I have the only nerve to complain about loss of life. Your comrades blood is on my hands too, if you would use your head for once in your life. I've lost all of my demons too! I'm not asking you to follow me! In fact, I'm telling you to get the hell away from me!" Takashi's eyes widened and his dark expression covered his face, the embers from the fire casting a shadow over his face.