Chapter Six

Mei pounded her fist against the floor, tears streaming down her face. She cried quietly, careful not to alert Kaito who was guarding her door. Hintani was her last hope for answers, and now he was gone as well. Everyone Mei knew and loved was gone, taken out of her life for good. Setski told her as he died Hintani would tell her everything and things would then start to make sense. She held Setski in her arms as he died, blood pouring from his throat and mouth. Setski was murdered by the demon Ryou; that was three family members he had killed, and at the time, Mei was powerless against him. Mei was hoping to reach Hintani before he caught her but instead she was now a prisoner of the Shin Clan. Out of one prison and into another, she thought bitterly, wiping the tears from her eyes. She sat on her feet, going over the situation in her head. She couldn't just walk out of the Shin's headquarters, not with her being guarded around the clock. But if she stayed, she would attract Ryou to this place and potentially lead these men to their deaths. Mei sighed heavily and looked outside, the sun shining into her room with warm, bright rays. Maybe a walk will clear my head, she thought. She got up and walked over to the door. She gently tapped on it and she heard rustling outside.

"I was wondering if I could take a walk outside," she whispered. She was met with silence, which irritated her. "I won't leave the place, I was already threatened with my life if I did," she added haughtily. A chuckle sounded outside and the door slid open, Kaito standing to the side of it with a sly smile on his face.

"If you aren't back in ten minutes, Takashi gets to go looking for you," he said.

"You aren't saying you have to go with me?" Mei asked curiously.

"I figured you need to figure things out alone," he said looking up at the sky. "I know how hard it is to hear such news. And having me around probably won't help so I don't mind this."

"Thank you," Mei said kindly, making her way out of the room and into clear area. She looked around at the buildings as she walked and she spotted Kalik in a yard a few feet away. She watched as he practiced with another samurai, Kalik clearly having the upper hand in skill. Kalik finished the fight by disarming his opponent. He sheathed his sword and spotted Mei as he looked up. He walked over there, an irritated look on his face and Mei guessed it was because she wasn't supposed to be out.

"What are you doing out of your room?" he asked as he approached Mei.

"I'm clearing my head. I can't think in that room," Mei said looking him in the eye. That's when Mei noticed how short she actually was. Kalik towered over her and she guessed all the other guys would too.

"Is Kaito not with you?" Kalik asked.

"He said it would be better if he wasn't, that way I can get over..." Mei trailed off, her eyes drooping with sadness.

"Hintani was my best friend, I didn't take it so well when I heard about it either," Kalik admitted quietly. Mei looked up at him with round eyes.

"Really? You knew Hintani?"

"We all did," Kalik chuckled. "Takashi and I knew him the best though."

"Takashi is an annoying bastard," Mei said annoyed as she crossed her arms. Kalik started to laugh and Mei just smiled. So Kalik can be a fun type of guy, she thought. Kalik walked past her and put his hand on her shoulder.

"Don't wander too long." Kalik walked down the hall Mei had come from and Mei continued on her walk. It was nice to find someone that would actually talk to her. Mei eventually made her way to the front gate, which was shut and locked. Mei closed her eyes and felt the wind ruffle through her clothes, making her blonde hair circle around her. Her men's clothes ruffled around her, and Mei knew she should probably find some clothes that could fit her. Laughter made her open her eyes. She scanned the area but saw no one else was out.