Chapter Twenty-Seven

Mei walked up the continuous staircase, Kazuma, Kalik and Takashi following behind her. Mei regretted not being able to leave them behind, but she felt comforted knowing they were there. Mei wanted them to live, which is why she left them behind in the first place. But now, she was determined they could finish this in one piece. The stairs were in a spiral several stories high, which made it exhausting for Mei to travel up them, but she didn't know if Kazuma had the energy to warp there since their battle. Thousands of stairs stood between Mei and Certo, which gave Mei time to collect her thoughts. As they continued up the stairs, Takashi let out a frustrated grunt. Mei stopped and looked over her shoulder at him, raising her eyebrow in curiosity.

"How long do these fucking stairs go? I'm getting tired of walking!" Takashi complained. Kazuma started chuckling and Kalik put his face in his hand. Mei smirked as she turned back around, continuing to climb. "It would be a lot easier if we could just teleport there," Takashi went on. He looked at Mei with an angry expression. "Why can't you just zap us there or something?"

"Actually asking a demon for help?" Kazuma said sarcastically as he eyed Takashi from the corners of his eyes.

"Shut up," Takashi snarled, looking at the wall. Mei smiled and started to laugh.

"Do you think it's a good idea to just appear there?" Mei asked as she stopped again, turning towards them so she could see their faces.

"Beats walking up all these goddamn stairs," Takashi mumbled.

"Perhaps warping us outside of the room Certo would be in?" Kalik suggested and Kazuma gave a low huff.

"Humans are such a pain in the ass," Kazuma growled.

"I believe we can do that," Mei said as she shot Kazuma a look. "The faster this ends the better right?"

"Damn right," Takashi answered.

"Kazuma, do you have enough energy to do that?" Kazuma rolled his eyes at her question.

"Naturally, Mei. Don't doubt my strength." Mei and Kazuma smiled at each other as they combined their powers and disappeared. All four of them appeared before a giant gate, which was left cracked open. Mei felt enormous power coming from beyond the door, and she grew positive Certo was behind them. She looked around at the guys, who nodded their heads at her. Taking a deep breath, Mei pushed open the door. It creaked as it opened, and they walked in to see Certo sitting on a giant throne made out of fossilized heads. Certo opened his eyes and they gleamed with lust as he stared at Mei. He moved his massive head and leaned against his arm, his eyes twinkling.

"So, Soushi failed and didn't put up a good enough fight, I see. No matter, no matter. He will receive my punishment after I kill you."

"Not today, bub," Takashi said unsheathing his sword. Kalik and Kazuma also unsheathed theirs, and Mei stood in front of all of them, still staring at the throne. Certo followed Mei's gaze and smiled at her, his pearly white fangs gleaming in the light.

"You must have noticed, princess. These are the heads of your ancestors Osamu and Soushi kindly arranged for me. Your head will be on top when I finish with you." Mei and Kazuma immediately transformed into the Catalyst Fossil and Celestial Fox. Mei's eyes glowed, rage consuming her. Mei held out her hand and the Abyss Blade appeared in the air, and Mei gripped it tightly. Certo laughed and got to his feet, drawing four blades that were on either side of the throne. Mei's eyes widened as she recognized them to be Demon Swords. So, he got his hands on the remaining four, she thought. She felt Kazuma shift uneasily beside her but he didn't falter from the challenge.

"Kalik, Takashi. Can you distract at least two of his arms?" Kalik looked over at Mei with a raised eyebrow.

"Are those things Demon Swords?" Kalik asked. Takashi immediately began shaking his head.