Chapter Eight

This chapter has a little more action than the previous ones, so the story is about to pick up some pace from here on out. I hope you enjoy this chapter, and please, please, please let me know what you think about it :) 

Mei sat on her mat, staring at the ground, her thoughts swirling in her head. What happened to Takashi's arm? I didn't see anything touch him, and I know for certain I didn't. Then she narrowed her eyes and clamped her teeth together in a snarl. Why can't I face Ryou? I had the advantage over Takashi! I basically won! Truth was though; Mei didn't remember how she got the upper hand in the first place. Mei was confused and she figured she was being blamed for what had happened to Takashi, which didn't surprise her at all. She was guessing they would be on their way here any second now to question her about it and she wouldn't have an answer. Mei didn't want to be around Takashi, knowing he would give her hell for damaging his arm. I'll just find Ryou before they do. It's not worth them risking their lives for someone like me. I have enough on my shoulders as it is. Making up her mind, she made her way back over to the door and quietly slid it open. She looked in both directions, making sure there was no one in sight before she went out. Closing the door behind her quietly, she made her way to the front of headquarters, where she last encountered Ryou. Mei heard footsteps up ahead, so she ducked into the shadows behind some barrels and crates that stood at the foot of a set of stairs. Mei stuck her head out slightly and that's when she saw Kalas up ahead. He ran passed her without so much as a glance in any other direction and she sighed softly. He was probably going to guard her so she had to act fast in case he decided to check inside her room. She broke into a run and finally arrived at the gate.

The massive gate was sealed shut, but luckily for Mei, none of the other guards were present. She sat on the ground and waited for Ryou to show up. She knew he would sense her out here, so she had no doubt in her mind he would show up. She didn't have her sword with her, so she was going to have to rely on the martial arts she taught herself all those years she was locked away in the basement. Mei stifled a laugh. She taught herself useless things while she was in the basement to pass the time, such as the basics of martial arts. She would spend days locked in the basement, but Mei took advantage of that. She knew had to fight with her fists better than she did with the sword; she knew where to hit to hit a vital area. Mei hated to admit Setski was her dummy when he came down there with her, but he didn't seem to mind Mei had taken an interest in fighting. But because of it, she had advantages people normally wouldn't think of. Mei just smiled to herself. Maybe all those years in the basement will pay off, she thought hopefully. If there was anything positive Mei could think of that came from those long fifteen years in the basement, it would be that she could fight equal to or better than a man.

Mei looked up at the sky as she realized four years had passed since she left Irailia to go and find Hintani. Setski has been dead for four years, Mei thought sadly. Setski had wanted her to leave before Ryou decided to come back, but Mei thought there was no point in leaving because she wouldn't know where she was going. In fact, Mei only found the Shin Clan due to the rumors of the Soulless Demons running around. Mei was hopeless when it came to directions; since she did end up traveling for about three years. Mei looked around the clearing and still saw no one. Dusk was beginning to fall, and Mei was silently begging for Ryou to get here before Soushi and the others figured out she was missing. Mei's body stiffened when she heard laughter. She sprung to her feet, her eyes locked on the gate. Here he comes, she told herself, her hands tightening into fists. Mei was ready for anything Ryou was going to try to pull.

"You waiting for me sweetheart?" Ryou's body appeared on the gate. Ryou was observing his sword, and then his eyes flickered over to Mei with a devious twinkle in his eye. "You decided to just hand yourself over, is that it? Do your samurai buddies approve of this? If you ask me, I don't think you're even supposed to be out on your own anymore." The sun started to set behind Ryou, causing Mei to squint a little to actually see Ryou's face.