Chapter Fifteen

Mei was glaring at the Pureblood on the stand with his sword pointed at Kalas. It was a good thing she decided to check up on them; otherwise, they would all be dead. Mei released her sword and it disappeared as she jumped down from the wall and walked towards the platform. She could've laughed at Kalik's and the others facial expressions as she walked by them, but she really didn't have the time. She gracefully jumped up onto the platform and looked at the Pureblood. Mei hated being short because she could never look people in the eye, so she wasn't considered intimidating to anyone. But this demon looked completely shocked, which pleased Mei to an extent. The only thing that troubled her was the expression of guilt crossing his face.

"You have a lot of nerve, pointing a sword at him. It's dishonorable for a demon with stature like yourself to stoop to low standards of executing a man without a weapon. If you have an ounce of dignity left in you, you will remove your blade from his neck." The Pureblood smiled and slowly withdrew his blade. Mei watched as Kalas got up and eyed her nervously before quickly joining the others. Mei scanned the crowd and spotted Kazuma, who was in the back waiting for her signal.  Time to disperse the crowd, Mei thought. Jumping down from the platform, Mei summoned the Abyss Blade and with one mighty swipe, cut the elites around the platform in half, the tops of their bodies falling to the ground as the blood gurgled out of them. She eyed the crowd and smiled, revealing her fangs. "This will be you in five seconds if you don't get out," she stated. The crowd screamed and panic swept through them as they fell over each other, trying to get out of the courtyard. Mei watched as they scattered and she nodded to Kazuma. Kazuma disappeared from his position and appeared by Soushi, who looked completely surprised.

"Hold still," Kazuma said unenthusiastically. Charging his sword with his yellow energy, he shot through their chains, freeing the Shin Clan from their bonds. Kalik looked at them dumbfounded and Takashi stood with his mouth wide open as the chains clattered on the ground. Humans, Mei thought, rolling her eyes. She turned towards Soushi, who looked at her with a curious expression.

"I think it's time for you to go, Captain." A dark chuckle sounded behind her and Mei pricked her ears up at the sound of it. 

"Wow, you are an idiot." Mei looked over at the demon on the platform, who had his hand pressed up against his forehead. He was shaking his head, his eyes locked with Mei's. Moving his hand away from his head, he made a gesture with his hand. Elites filled the walls above them and Mei noticed they were now completely surrounded. An uneasy feeling swirled inside her stomach as she looked at the massive wave of elites. "You think the people of this land would follow the Emperor if we executed an entire clan?" the Pureblood asked, his voice ringing with mockery. "I used these pathetic humans as bait to lure you out. I know you don't want harm coming to them. I bet they haven't even realized it yet." Mei glanced over and saw Kalik's eyes widen, and saw disbelief in the other's faces as well. So it was a trap, Mei thought. Knew it. Her eyes slid over to Kazuma, who met her eyes evenly.

"Let me get this straight," Mei said, her attention turning back to the Pureblood. "You used these guys to lure me out? And you said I was an idiot. Who said I wasn't going to come looking for you anyways? I believe it was you who executed Mizuki at the Shin's headquarters, correct?" Mei looked over at Kalik for confirmation, and he nodded his head to her. Mei's eyes glowed purple, and purple energy flames began to surround her. Glaring at the Pureblood, Mei held her hand out to the side and the Abyss Blade appeared in it. Grasping it firmly, she pointed it at the Pureblood. "I wasn't able to make it there in time to save him. I made a promise to these guys. Whether or not they accept me as a friend, to me they are family, and I will protect them. You took a life that wasn't yours to take. And since they don't stand a chance against you, I will take it upon myself to avenge Mizuki."