Chapter Three

"You ready to go yet?" Mei looked up and saw Setski standing at the doorway with a bag thrown over his shoulder, an annoyed expression plastered on his face. She finished putting on the robe that was way too big for her and tied her blonde hair up into a ponytail, matching Setski's look. Setski was fourteen years old now, but he was starting to look more and more like Hintani. She ran over to Setski and both of them started out towards the town. They were low on food and other various supplies so it was about time they took a trip into the village's marketplace. Mei had always been excited about going with Setski, since it gave her the chance to actually go outside.

"Just stay by my side okay?"

"I know the routine, Setski. I won't talk to anyone either," Mei said, looking sadly at the ground. The fact she had to hide herself made her irritated. Setski told her about what had happened with her father and how the elites were after her. It was eight years ago when those men came for her and she thought by now they would have forgotten about her. However, a couple days ago the Emperor's men came into the village looking for a lost girl. It was Mei's idea to disguise herself as a boy. She didn't have much of a figure yet and if she rubbed dirt all over her face, she could pull it off. Mei had difficulty talking Setski into it, but she was finally able to get him to accept the idea. They made their way into town and towards one of the least crowded stalls. Setski pulled out his pouch full of coins and gestured to Mei to stay put as he went inside. Mei just stood on the outside of the stall watching the people pass by. She liked people watching, since she was never able to see how a normal life was actually like. All Mei got to see was the basement during the day and the house during the night. But sense she could pull off the disguise of a boy, she figured she would have no trouble convincing Setski into letting her outside more.

Mei turned her head to the side and saw the elites from the capital walking a few feet down, but they were paying no attention to her. Instead they were bullying a young boy who had apparently stolen something from them. Mei watched as they shoved the boy up against a wall and started beating him with the hilt of their swords. Anger started to rise inside of Mei, but knew she could do nothing about it. It annoyed her the elites could do whatever the hell they wanted just because they were the Emperor's men. The Emperor sounds like a pretty messed up guy, Mei thought to herself. Mei forced herself to look away from the elites, knowing she didn't need to draw unwanted attention to herself. The last thing she needed was to have those elites breathing down her neck. She could hear the young boy start to cry out, and Mei bit her tongue hard, drawing a little bit of blood. Something inside of Mei told her she shouldn't just sit around and let that happen. She stood up from her lean and was about to head down that way when an arm grabbed her shoulder, pulling her back.

"Don't think about it," Setski said as he came back out of the stall, releasing Mei's shoulder.

"What?" Mei asked, looking away from him.

"Don't get involved with the capital. I know it looks bad but there is nothing we can do. They have swords and we don't. Plus you don't need to draw attention to yourself."

Mei looked over at him with a sly smile. I bet I could wield a sword, she thought.  Swords don't win every battle, you know. She grabbed one of the bags Setski had brought out and they started making their way back to the house. She struggled lifting the bag, but she knew she lacked the physical strength boys had. She was strong, just not as strong as she would have hoped. As she followed Setski back, her mind drifted back to the elites and the young boy they were bullying. It always occurred to Mei the elites were supposed to protect the people, not torture them. Something is wrong with the world, Mei thought bitterly. She shook her head violently, trying to get the idea out of her head.

"What's that look for?" Mei looked up and saw Setski looking over his shoulder at her, a small smile on his face.

"Those elites really irritate me," Mei said with a huff. Setski started laughing and Mei smiled. Mei walked a bit faster so she could walk right beside Setski. She looked up at him, expecting him to say something.